The Top 10 Reasons Why You SHOULDN'T take summer courses

Summer, Summer, Summertime

646

Spring semester is a grind and making it to the finish line, good grades in tow, is analogous to completing a marathon. You're exhausted yet feel accomplished and are pumped that you didn't pass out. So, WHY WOULD ANYONE IN THEIR RIGHT MIND TAKE SUMMER CLASSES? A glutton for punishment? Overachiever? Or pure naivety? Either way, taking summer classes will surely hamper your summer plans and prove to be an unnecessary test of your resolve and that's not what summer is for.

Summertime is time to work, or relax, or see your family and friends. A time to reset and get ready for the autumn semester. Not a time to participate in the Hunger Games. SO, to dissuade any ambitious, or naive, undergrads, here is a list of the Top Ten Reasons NOT to Take Summer Classes:

Stress

EveryPixel

For the most part, courses are condensed and a regular semester is compressed into six or eight weeks. The same amount of material in less time makes John a stressed boy.

Preparation

Every Pixel

With courses being condensed, it is more difficult to ensure a top score. If you are considering graduate school in the future, every grade counts and it would be a shame to not get into grad school because of a couple of tough summer courses.

Carpe Diem

EveryPixel

Life is too short. Enjoy the time you have, it is not a race to finish school.

Experience

EveryPixel

Summer can be more efficiently used by gaining work experience. Working, even part-time, during the summer can beef up your resume, making you more attractive to potential employers. Education=good, Experience=good, Education+Experience=Great.

HEAT!

EveryPixel

Going to class in the Autumn or Spring is pleasant. If the weather cooperates, strolling around campus from class to class is enjoyable. However, during the summer semester, the enjoyment you once felt now devolves into a mild disgust as you sweatily march from class to class.

Envy

EveryPixel

While you're studying dutifully and taking notes, everyone you know is going on vacation, staying up late, partying, pretty much just enjoying life. Sure, you may graduate slightly ahead of your peers. Congrats! Now you get to join the working stiffs, while your peers are still enjoying their college time.

Burnout

EveryPixel

Most people are pretty worn out at the end of semester, I know that I am. So the idea of jumping right into another semester of classes, without a little break, sucks. At the pace it is easy to become disillusioned with the whole process, not allowing you to enjoy your time.

Limited class options

EveryPixel

Most summer course offerings are sparse. Meaning you may have to take a class that you normally wouldn't. You should always try to take classes that interest you and not just because they are available. You will do better in the classes that you're interested in and may be exposed to something that could change your school/career trajectory.

They're online

EveryPixel

Online classes. For some people, online classes are great. For others, the opposite can be said. If you are someone who does not like online classes then summer semester definitely isn't for you, as most class offerings are online.

CARPE DIEM!

EveryPixel

I know this one was already mentioned but it is so important that it is worth repeating. Life is short. Enjoy yourself as much as you can. You have the whole rest of your life to be stressed.

Enjoy your summer!!!

From Your Site Articles