7 Reasons You Should Definitely Not Join A Sorority

Because in a girl-eat-girl world, there's so many reasons we should discourage an organization where women empower other women.
87

In a society that talks about how vicious girls are and the competition that comes with being a female, you would imagine that more people would support Greek life and the unity that comes with it. We live in a world where girls try their best to bring other girls down. Women can be and are shamed for just about anything and everything we can be criticized for. But, I mean, there's just so many reasons that women should not join Greek life.

1. You'll be held to a higher standard

Greek life is all about developing you into a better student, sister, and person. You will be required to do community service, attend philanthropy events and more. Who would want to push themselves in order reach their full potential?

2. You'll become more involved with your campus

If you're involved in Greek life the chances are you'll be more involved with campus affairs. Sororities are always hosting events on campus, tabling in the lounge, and encouraging you to be a part of other organizations as well.

3. You'll be a part of something bigger than yourself

Being in a sorority means being a part of something bigger than yourself. You'll raise money for your philanthropy whether it's for cancer, mental health, heart disease, etc. Not only will you be raising money for a good cause, but you'll also be empowering other women through unity all over the world.

4. You'll meet amazing women

You will form friendships and a sisterhood with amazing women that you would have never known before. The women from your sorority will lift you up, push you, and be there for you like no one else is. But, who needs a support system anyways?

5. You'll form a network

Not only will you meet your sisters in your chapter, but you will meet alumnae, sisters from other colleges, and members of Greek life who aren't in your sorority.

6. You'll gain a new confidence in yourself that you never knew you had

One day my dad told me "Surround yourself with people that you aspire to be like." When I joined my sorority, I joined a group of women that I looked up to and wanted to follow in their footsteps. They didn't let me down; they showed me that I didn't need to be like them- because I was me. And being me is enough.

7. You just might have the time of your life

Being in Greek life changed who I am as a person, and I can honestly say I have never been happier. Unfortunately, for most people, though, there's just too many reasons you shouldn't join a sorority.