5 Reasons Why You Should Move Away For College

Moving out may be the best decision you cold make.
108

College, the transition into adulthood that every kid dreams of. Being a college freshman I can tell you that it isn't all sunshine and rainbows, but here are 5 reasons why you should move away for college.

1. Experiences

Going to college is nothing short of 4 years worth of amazing memories. To say that moving three states away from my entire family wasn't completely terrifying is an understatement. Living away from home, especially if it's for the first time is wild. I grew up in a small town, where there were less than 15 stoplights and everyone hangs out in a parking lot on Friday nights. Here, there are endless things to do every night of the week and there are more than 15 stoplights between here and Target. Even on campus, every time you step foot out of your room is an experience.

2. Education

Going to college for most means going to get an education, with dreams of becoming something amazing. Although you're attending classes like biology, chemistry, and calculus some of the best education you will receive comes from outside of the classroom. You have to learn to do everything on your own like; trying not to tun your laundry every color under the sun, grocery shopping, how to find your way around a new city, and maybe discovering your new favorite place.

3. Freedom

Where do I even begin? You've officially moved out of the house, you're on your own in an unfamiliar city and you have 4 years ahead of you. Your parents aren't there to tell you not to get Chick-Fil-A at 11:30 every night, or to not go to your 8 AM class in your pajamas. Initially, this seems like the best thing to ever happen to you, but soon you'll miss your moms nagging advice, or your dads special Saturday morning doughnut runs.

4. Football

Maybe it's just me, but college football is the epitome of college sports. From the hype cheers, to the tailgates, to the cute players no one wants to miss a football Saturday. Football in high school may seem like the be-all end-all of social interaction, but nothing can compare to those afternoons in the student section freezing, getting a sunburn, and razzing the opposing team every chance you get.

5. Friendships

Not only is college the time of YOUR life, it is the time when you make your friends for life. It could be sorority, athletics, study groups, university organizations, or leadership programs. Wherever you find your niche there will be people for you. I'm just beginning my journey through college, and I already know the friends I am making will be some of my friends for life.

So whether you end up at a school an hour away or twelve, moving away from home will be the best decision you can make.