Why I Love Being An Older Sister

Why I Love Being An Older Sister

Told by the movie 'Sisters.'

96
Why I Love Being An Older Sister
Screen Rant

I remember the glorious days of being an only child… For exactly three years, one month, and 22 days I was my parents pride and joy, the apple to their eye, the light in their day. I got all the attention, the gifts, and the love… and then you came along. Having a younger sister was interesting at first. There were these new rules called “sharing” and “taking turns” that I was not used to. Getting accustomed to the new boundaries and rules took time, this time consisting of bickering, shouting, and crying. Fast forward a couple years later and we were gifted another sister to add to the mixture.

I see now that my life would have been lonely without the two of you to mix things up. It’s a unique experience being an older sister. There are a plenty of high highs and low lows. Younger sisters take you on a roller coaster, a ride with stomach drops of surprise and twists and twirls of emotions. These are a few of the reasons why I love being an older sister...

1. You basically have two closets

Although you will fight, and fight over clothes and who stole what, when it comes down to it, if you have nothing to wear your sisters will help you out, giving you more outfit opportunities and cute clothes! That is until they go into your closet without your knowledge.

2. You know about boys

That stupid boy that is sending her mixed signals... you've been through it all. When it comes to boys, you know all the secrets. The boys that are not worth her time or are just plain not good enough for your little sister. You teach her the ways of flirting, texting, and picking out the good ones over the players. You get to help your sister avoid all the heartbreak and drama you went through.

3. You are their transportation

The two of you get the chance to take shopping trips, joy rides, and just hangout. When they need a ride to a friend's or just want to get some food, it gives you extra time to spend with your sister. You also get to take advantage of them if they want a ride somewhere.

4. You have a best friend to spill your secrets to

Every dirty little secret, there is only one person you want to tell. Your sister. She knows your mistakes, failures, and the best moments of your life. She knows everything that she shouldn't and you are so thankful for her. She's the best friend that you can always count on.

5. You get to relive the teenage years

The years of drama, insecurity, and "dating." I love hearing about the daily middle school and high school drama that follows my sisters home.The struggles you went through learning how to do your hair and makeup is passed down and it's time to teach them. It makes you feel like an old lady, but you laugh at yourself when you remember these exact moments.

6. You have all the advice they're searching for

You're the first one to experience basically ... everything.Your sister will come to you for advice on everything she can't ask your mom. About boys, friends, drama, parties, drinking... She is trying her best not to make the mistakes she knows you made.

7. You're someone's role model

It may get annoying when your sister wants to copy everything you do... your clothes, your hobbies, even your favorite color. But she is just amazed at what an incredible sister she has. The copying and the questions are just her way of saying she respects you and loves you.

8. Your sister will motivate you

Whether it's a new diet or a workout plan, if you ever feel like giving up, texting your sister will immediately change your mind. She knows how to boost your confidence and your motivation to make you keep on going. It's like having a 24/7 trainer.

9. You have a travel companion

Every road trip or plane ride, a sister is there to keep you company. Through movies, games, music, and talking, it's someone to keep you entertained on those long, dreaded road trips. As an older sister you also can get away with getting more room in the car.

10. You get to play the "mom" role

Everything that your mom worried about, now you're worrying about. Who is your sister hanging out with? What boy is she talking to? Why isn't she home yet? You get to freak out and ask questions and annoy your sister until she can't take it anymore. The only difference is, you wouldn't tell your mom anything but your sister will tell you everything.

Thank you to my younger sisters for teaching me how to be a proper role model. I love you both.