5 Reasons Why We Still Love Disney Movies

Young adults can (and should) still enjoy Walt's world.

2261

Despite the racial and gender stereotypes proposed over the years, Disney animated movies are still popular. As children, we enjoyed every minute of them and ferociously hit the rewind button, nearly breaking our parent’s VCR players. Here are the top five reasons we still love Disney movies.

1. The Movies are a part of our childhood. Almost all 18- to 20-year-olds can remember a time where our mom, dad, aunt, uncle, or grandparent popped in a Disney movie to quiet us down. In pre-school and kindergarten, "101 Dalmatians" and "Aladdin" were rewards for good class behavior. Due to these past experiences, we correlate a Disney movie with a comfortable and safe environment. They are permanently ingrained in our minds because of the early and often exposure to them. So when we are eighty year olds and our grandchildren are watching whatever is popular, we can say with pride “Back in my day children’s movies were better!”
  2. The Music. Music in Disney movies have become so popular they are a genre in itself. Online radio stations offer “Disney Radio,” and movie soundtracks are sold in stores alongside other popular artists. The music found in the movies are catchy and very diverse. Songs can be light and upbeat like “I Have No Strings” from "Pinocchio." Some are dark and scary such as “Hellfire” from "The Hunchback of Notre Dame." Others are slow and sad, namely “Reflection” from "Mulan." Disney songs hit multiple aspects on the music spectrum and deserve to be in their own category.
  3. The Villains. Let’s be honest, everyone loves a good bad guy. The villains in Disney are well crafted from their looks, having a wicked voice to match an evil mind. We enjoyed the villains so much because of their humor and wit, (Scar from "The Lion King" or Hades from "Hercules"). Others we loved because they were so scary and embodied pure evil, (Ursula from "The Little Mermaid" or Maleficent from "Sleeping Beauty"). On top of that, the antagonists always seem to have a great song in store. I can’t get enough of Scar’s “Be Prepared” or Ursula’s “Poor Unfortunate Souls.” It’s OK to sing them in your head, I know you just did.
  4. The Lessons. Aside from family, teachers, and coaches, Disney movies played a role in what we currently hold as morals. Ingrained in these movies are the decisions of right and wrong, they teach children along with entertaining them. The lessons still need to be taught even if they are simple. Such as never judging someone by their appearance, not listening when someone says you’re not good enough, or never being afraid to face your mistakes. We watch them now because 15 years later the lessons are still relevant and we can all use reminders from time to time.
  5. The Size of Disney’s World. The final reason Disney movies are popular as a whole can be attributed to all the places they take us. As children, they allowed us to imagine ourselves anywhere in the world. From the ocean depths in The Little Mermaid, Africa in "Tarzan," Paris in "The Hunchback of Notre Dame," China in "Mulan," etc. We even saw the world through the eyes of bugs, dogs, toys, and the list can go on. Disney movies are set in so many differing places, they keep us engaged and our minds open.

Disney Animation has made so many classics throughout the years and they are still going. The movies embody a lot. Life lessons, imagination and catchy music. What makes them so great is that they can still be enjoyed a generation later. So as for me, I’m going to get a plate of goldfish and watch a Disney movie like back in the good ol’ days.