11 Reasons Every College Student Should Join Model United Nations

603
Cara DeLoach

Model United Nations is an experiential learning program provided by many major colleges and universities in the United States, connected to an amazing international network of students around the world! There are an infinite number of reasons why every college student should get involved with Model United Nations, but here are just 11:

1. It's a Fantastic Learning Experience

Meeting and working with students around the world is a great way to eliminate ethnocentrism and develop a broader, international perspective on global issues.

2. The Travel is Amazing

Even if your Model UN team stays in the United States, traveling both locally and internationally is an unforgettable experience.

3. It's a Great Way to Make Friends

Emily Peisker, a Model UN aficionado from Texas, said this about her experience in MUN: "My main reason for joining the MUN team was to be able to travel to new countries and make friends with people from all over the world, all while experiencing an unfamiliar culture. The added bonus of brushing up on geopolitics and familiarizing myself with current events outside of the United States was a plus, and completely necessary to having a successful time at the conference."

4. It's an Opportunity to Represent Another Country's Interests

When else might you have the chance to quote your great Russian leader Vladamir Putin or defend China's sovereignty?

5. It's a Great Excuse to Get Dressed Up

Who wouldn't want to feel important by wearing a black-tie suit or high heels?

6. If You're a Chair, You Get to Use a Gavel

Enough said.

7. You Get to Fine-Tune Your Teamwork Skills

Because solidarity and mutual understanding are the basic tenants of Model United Nations.

8. If You're a P5 Country, You Get to Veto Everyone's Hard Work

"How does the Russian Federation Vote?"

"The Russian delegation would like to use its veto."

*Evil Laughter*

9. When You Pass a Resolution, You Feel Like You've Just Solved World Peace

10. The After-Parties are Amazing

After all that hard delegating, you'll need some down-time.

11. IT'S SO MUCH FUN

Above is a picture of my Model United Nations team from Howard Payne University in Brownwood, Texas during a conference in Rome, Italy. During my undergraduate career, I was able to travel to five European countries and meet other MUN students from around the world. Here's what James Abbatiello, another MUN-aficionado from Texas has to say about his experience: "Getting into the role of your respective country is not only a great learning experience, but also really fun! You might fight bitterly over topics with other delegates in committee and dance all night with the same people you 'disagreed' with all day."

So what are you waiting for? Go out and join a MUN team, and make memories that will last a lifetime!