The Reality Of Living Your Dream

The Reality Of Living Your Dream

This is what happens after hopping off the plane at LAX with your dream and your cardigan.

13
The Reality Of Living Your Dream
Emily Smith

In August, 2015, I hopped off the plane at LAX with my dream and my cardigan. But unlike Miley, I didn't jump in a cab. Instead, I stood in line waiting at a rental car place with no air conditioning for about an hour and a half. Welcome to Los Angeles, Emily. You are now living your dream.

For as long as I can remember, my parents have encouraged me to dream big. Being raised in a household where Disney was basically a priority, I have always been reminded by Walt's words "If you can dream it, you can do," or my personal favorite, "All our dreams can come true if you have the courage to pursue them." The latter has been become much more relevant to me in the past years and a half.

When I was younger, my parents never discouraged any far-fetched dreams. They continued to support me as I got older by encouraging me not only to dream, but to find a practical way to follow that dream. And that is what led me to be where I am today.

You might be wondering what my dream is. For as long as I can remember, I've always had a passion for movies, television, and writing. When I was in middle school I decided I was going to be a filmmaker one day, and when I was in high school I researched all my options of film schools. I neglected my love of writing because I thought I had to decide between majoring in either film or English in college, and I felt film was more suitable for me.

After talking to my parents more about my passions, we settled on me applying to go to college for communications. I applied to and was accepted to a few universities, but something didn't feel right. Maybe I didn't want to do communications. My parents recommended community college, because it would save so much money. I didn't really want to do this, as I was surrounded by so many students who were going on to do great things. I didn't want to be stuck at home and attend a college that was basically an extension of high school. However, my parents reminded me of how much two years of college would cost, and I also knew that I wasn't set on what I wanted to major in. So, I decided to go to community college, and it was the best thing that my parents ever made me do.

The biggest takeaways as to why community college was perfect for me was that I finally figured out what career I wanted (screenwriting), I matured a little more so that I could go farther away, and I was shown every reason why I should continue chasing my dream.

Fast forward to May of 2015. After testing the waters of screenwriting in the only class my community college offered for it, I had applied and been accepted to Loyola Marymount University's screenwriting program. I made my decision to attend LMU at about 11:42 pm on April 30. Yes, my decision was due on May 1. I was hesitant in the hours leading up to it, but with a gut feeling I went for it. And then I immediately cried because my gut feeling just decided to move to the other side of the country.

This is it. Going to community college was a trial run. But now this is the real deal. My future is about to begin. I'm finally going to be living my dream.

I won't lie. The months leading up to starting at LMU were awful. I was following my dreams, but I was moving to a city I had only visited for one day when I was ten years old. I was going to be all alone, trying to make it in an industry that is so fast paced, so cruel, so intimidating. I was leaving my family. What if something happens to someone while I'm gone. Was sacrificing all of this worth living out my dream?

I recently read a quote on Instagram that resonated with me. "I didn't make it this far to only make it this far." Yes, I had to make sacrifices, but it was either that or sacrifice my hard work and my dream. I couldn't give up just yet.

The first semester was rough. I missed my family so much. I missed the familiarity of home. I missed the security. But I had so many great opportunities. My teachers were all professionals who have recognizable work. My school hosted events where I got to meet some cool people working in the film industry. And I got to explore Los Angeles. All the fear I had of failure didn't quite disappear, but it lessened. I don't know if it's because I was being taught by so many successful writers, or if it was because making that move seemed impossible but I was able to do it, and now I feel like I could do anything. Or it was a combination of both. Whatever it was, I was excited to be living my dream. And I still miss my family. I don't think I ever won't. But they're only a phone call away. Their support has gotten me this far.

This week, I am starting my final full semester at LMU. I walk at graduation in May, and then I take a summer class. I will be done with my undergraduate education in June. This winter break was the last one I'll have like it. The last break I'll have with a few weeks of no responsibilities. I don't know where the future will take me. I'm scared that once I start working, visits with my family will become less frequent.

But it's my dream.

I've decided I want to write for children's television, and maybe one day write family films. Those types of films and TV shows are what taught me to dream big. They got me through some harder parts of my life. And I want to be able to provide that type of support through entertainment for others, as they have for me.

I know once I graduate and begin working, all the excitement might wear off. It already has started to. I'm not as excited about seeing celebrities visit my school to offer the film students advice. I missed seeing Ewan McGregor because I was writing script pages! My priorities have definitely changed. But I still have a deep passion for film and writing. I know that as long as I remember how hard I worked to get here and how much I sacrificed for this career, knowing that I can bring entertainment to someone else's life will keep me excited for writing.

Following your dreams is scary. Especially when it becomes a reality. You have to balance the things that matter to you. You have to be willing to make sacrifices. You have to break out of your comfort zone. But so far, even with all of the fear of the future, it has been an amazing experience and I wouldn't trade it for anything. "All of our dreams can come true if we have the courage to pursue them." All it takes is that one leap of faith. The gut intuition that submits your deposit to film school at 11:42 pm on April 30.