There's A Real Life Superhero In Your House

...and her name is 'Mom.'

28
Dana Drosdick

Superhero (n): 1. a hero, especially in children's comic books and television cartoons, possessing extraordinary, often magical powers.

When I was younger, I fantasized about what it would be like to be a superhero. With a cape and mask, I would fight crime and keep my city safe from harm. I would care for the needy and protect the weak. I would use my super powers for good rather than for evil, and everyone would come to respect and revere me. And then, when I was tired of the fame and glory, I would remove my mask and cape and slip into the comforting monotony of everyday life, where I would work a mundane job and live an average life. However, during my boring day job I would sneak peaks at the newspaper on my desk, with a gigantic headline in black and white and a picture of me as my superhero self. Oh, the dreams of our youths.

Since then, I’ve grown up and sadly come to the realization that those kinds of super heroes simply do not exist in our lives. There’s no one in a cape and a mask battling super villains and destroying cities and villages in the process. Life is, in actuality, quite dull.

However, in growing up, I’ve learned that there is a rather large subset of the population that has come to embody the characteristics of superheroes. They work tirelessly, act justly, and love fiercely. These real-life superheroes all have a common identity. They are all called ‘mom.’

1. She manages to cook, clean, drive you places, AND work a full-time job.

Do moms all secretly have a time turner or are they just that good? I don’t know how they manage to cram all the house chores, family outings, and work into single 24-hour days, but they do. Just as a superhero manages to constantly defend the city, often at the expense of his or her needs and wants, so too does a mother continually sacrifice her free time to try and give her children everything they long for in the world.

2. She is willing to undergo intense amounts of pain (aka childbirth) for the ones she loves.

Childbirth is often explained like this: imagine carrying a watermelon inside your stomach for 9 months and then having to eject it from your body, potentially without any medication. Anyone willing to go through that kind of pain, and often multiple times, is definitely someone exceedingly self-sacrificial and kind. A superhero needs endurance of pain, both physical and emotional, in order to best defend the city. In a similar way, mothers push through physical exhaustion and emotional stress to ensure the best quality of life for her loved ones.

3. She knows to pick her battles wisely.

Just like a superhero or an army general, the life of a mother is filled with battle plans, tactics and defense mechanisms. Though desperate times sometimes call for desperate matters (“I’ll give you a piece of chocolate if you stop crying in the middle of the super market”), a mother generally knows how to handle almost any and every situation. She disciplines when necessary, but she does it with love. Most importantly, mothers teach their children to strive for peace and harmony. Like a superhero, all mothers really want is peaceful coexistence among those who she loves the most.

4. She works tirelessly with little to no recognition for all that she does.

So much of a mother’s job is behind the scenes. This may come as a surprise, but there are no little elves that wash and fold the laundry, pack lunches, vacuum the floor, and keep the cookie jar filled with delicious treats. Behind all of those little homey touches is the woman who seems to do it all. And although their identity is not hidden behind a mask and a cape, it almost may as well be—since people often overlook those details and fail to give mothers the recognition they deserve.

5. She inspires all those around her.

Whether or not people tell her, a mother naturally exudes a sense of confidence and put-togetherness. Her humility and tireless work ethic inspires those around her to work hard for whatever and whoever they love. Her sacrificial attitude exemplifies the type of person everyone should strive to be.

Thank you, mom for all the things I perpetually fail to thank you for. Thank you for listening to my emotional rants, investing yourself in my academics, knowing me better than anyone else, and loving me despite all my imperfections. You are, and forever will be, my superhero.