What do you think Lotus means?

What do you think Lotus means?

Reading improves your vocabulary and that's pretty cool.

15
What do you think Lotus means?

Romance.

Mystery.

Fantasy....

Pick your book.

It can be a book that you've read a million times or a book that you just picked up.

Books improve our vocabulary! You can learn a lot of new words just by reading.

Word of The Day!

lotus-eater: a person who leads a life of dreamy, indolent ease, indifferent to the busy world; daydreamer.

What were you thinking?

Someone who ate lotuses? I thought that too.

This word is perfect for Odyssey due to the fact that it was from the 9th book of Odyssey. In book 9 of the Odyssey, Odysseus tells the story of being blown off course for nine days as he was rounding Cape Malea (the southern tip of the Peloponnesus) westward toward Ithaca, his home island. On the tenth day Odysseus and his companions landed on an unnamed island that the Greek historian Herodotus (5th century b.c.) located on the Libyan coast. The Greek historian Polybius (2nd century b.c.) specifically identified the island as Meninx (now Djerba) off the Tunisian coast. The Greek noun lōtós “lotus” in ancient times referred to several different herbs, plants, shrubs, and trees. One of these, the shrub Ziziphus lotus, is often thought to be the lotus of the Odyssey. Lotus-eater entered English in the 17th century.

You can learn a lot by reading a book. For example, if you've ever read The Christy Miller Series as a young adult. You would learn how God changed Christy's life. She didn't know who she was. She was troubled. Honestly, everyone is troubled.

This year I am representing the state of Rhode Island at the American Dream pageants. I'm competing for Miss American Dream. My platform is Read Across America: Making Reading Fun! I want people to experience different worlds and different characters. Part of my platform is getting the community involved in reading. I know most of you read. After reading this article, please tag me @MissRIAD2017, a picture of your book, and either the summary or your thought on the book. Reading helps you escape and brings you through many different adventures! Spread your bookworm wings and fly!