Why Reading Has Helped Me Open My Eyes About Toxic Relationships In This World

“Love shouldn’t feel like added weight. It should make you feel as light as air.” - Colleen Hoover

392
pexels.com

I recently purchased the book Too Late by Colleen Hoover. I read the book's synopsis on her website and instantly was intrigued. I have never thought of reading a book that focused solely on the idea of domestic violence. It scaredme if I'm being honest.

Especially, since she had a warning that said that this book was unlike any of her other works and it was meant for 18+ because of the graphic violence and language.

Even the cover screamed or insinuated "danger" from the splotchy red/black/purple background with the bold, black letters of the title placed directly in the middle emphasizing the words. However, I'm grateful that I took the opportunity to read this heart-wrenching story.

It has opened my eyes to the dangerous, toxic relationships that are prevalent in society. According to the Centers for Disease Control (CDC), "On average, 24 people per minute are survivors of rape, physical violence or stalking by an intimate partner in the United States - more than 12 million women and men over the course of a year."

It makes me sick to my stomach knowing that this a growing problem. I can't imagine what it would be like to experience the abuse from a person that you love. It's the ultimate betrayal.

In a relationship, you should feel safe and secure. If there's ever a point that a line has been crossed don't hesitate to call the National Domestic Violence Hotline at 1-800-799-7233. It is extremely important to seek the help that you need or for someone that you know, that is suffering abuse.

I had many moments while reading Too Latethat I had to give myself a break. It was too much at times. It felt so real and raw...you could feel the pain that the characters were having to endure. I think Colleen Hoover decided to push the boundaries and write a story that was dark and twisted. She allowed herself to break the rules.

I thoroughly enjoyed this book and I would recommend this story for all women and men.