YouTubers Are Way More Than Just Hilarious Millennials With A Camera

“Buffering” by Hannah Hart proves that.

90
YouTube

READING CHALLENGE 2018: Buffering by Hannah Hart

Hopefully at least some of you have heard of “Goodreads”. If you haven’t, well, allow me to introduce you to a book lover’s dream come true. Goodreads is wonderful—it’s a website that allows you to keep track of what books you’ve read, of what books you want to read, of books that you own or want to own, of how many books you’ve read throughout the year, etc.

My favorite feature on Goodreads is the ability to set a yearly reading goal/reading challenge. For the past two years, I have fallen way short of my reading goal and I keep looking at that number I set for myself in January and I feel disappointed—even though I know that extenuating circumstances understandably hindered my ability to actually sit down and read for pleasure. 2017 was shamefully void of book reading.

But I don’t want to shame myself; I’ve done enough of that—far too much, really. So I’m going to set a goal this time and I’m going to be proactive. I’m going to try to make something I really enjoy a priority. Not to mention, reading means learning (even if it’s fiction!) and learning something new is always part of my New Year’s resolution.

Every time I finish a book in 2018, I’m going to review it. Not necessarily because I think anyone should use my opinion as a basis to read a book or not, but because I’ve always loved reading book reviews written by people with a sense of humor and a good taste in literature. And...not to toot my own horn, but I excel in both of those categories.

So let’s get to it!

It’s week two of 2018 and I’ve just finished reading a book I’ve had on my wishlist for quite some time:

Buffering: Unshared Tales of a Life Fully Loaded by delightful YouTube Creator and Comedian.

This book was recommended to me by someone I love with my whole heart and mind. She was the first person I talked to when I started to question my own sexuality. I was terrified because even if there was nothing to question about my sexual preferences, imagine just for a moment what it would be like to sit on a secret like that and fear losing the love and respect of everyone you care about...made me sick to my stomach. No one should have to go through that.

But my friend, Lauren, helped me to see that it’s not as black and white like we’ve been told. It’s a beautiful and colorful spectrum. We’re all resting naturally somewhere in between the two polar points. Gay or straight. Hardly anyone is 100% one way or the other. I had never thought of it that way before, but it made perfect sense.

She then showed me this book by Hannah Hart, someone who waves her rainbow flag with real PRIDE. (Se what I did there?)

I read a little bit and asked to borrow it when she was done reading it. As usual, though, I couldn’t wait. I ordered it myself and started reading it slowly, but passionately.

Ms. Hart has a really beautiful way of storytelling while telling the truth. She describes things as they are but with so much elegance that it feels impossible to keep yourself from seeing what she saw as she put the words on the page.

Everyone struggles to get where they are in the present. No struggle is invalid, but some are weighed down with a heavier burden than others. Hannah Hart has carried one of the heaviest burdens I’ve ever heard of.

I won’t give anything away, don’t worry. I want you all to read the book for yourself.

I will say this, though: we all have the opportunity to choose what direction we take in life...where we point our feet. And when raised in an unstable, traumatic environment, who could blame you for choosing a darker, more familiar path? Some of the most inspirational stories come from those who decide to change their own circumstances. It never ceases to amaze me what the human psyche can not only endure but also flourish from. Hannah Hart is a shining example.

For any of those who read this book and relate to Hannah at all, I hope you all know that religion is not evil. Not all those that believe in God in the hateful speech so-called “Christians” spit. You are so loved, not just by us, but also by God. There is NOTHING wrong with you. I certainly don’t claim to have all the cosmic answers, but I know that much.

You are perfectly and wonderfully made. My heart breaks to think of the shame and abandonment those of the LGBTQ community have faced because of biblical misinterpretations. You belong. You have always belonged. We are all inherently sinners, but love is never a sin. Love is the greatest gift from God. He would never condemn it. I cannot bring myself to believe otherwise.

I’ve been raised as a devout Roman Catholic and all I know is that I was never taught to be hateful and I was never taught that it is wrong or sinful to love anyone you may love.

I would love it if Hannah Hart had someone in her life who let her know that religion and her sexual identity are not mutually exclusive. Every aspect of who we are is cohesive and completely beautiful. You are all completely beautiful.

I hope we live in a world someday where the struggles we face in life are not so burdensome. I wouldn’t wish for a world where we never struggle—and I think Hannah Hart would agree with me. Our struggles shape us and help us to grow into who we are. The pain makes us strong. But I would wish for a world where we are never treated like we don’t belong...just because of who we are.

That’s it for this review! Don’t want to give anything away! But I highly recommend the book!

Please comment to let me know what you think I should read next!