'Rapture Rejects' Review: Why 'Cyanide & Happiness's' Battle Royal Is Dying
Games

Review: 'Rapture Rejects,' A Game Of Post-Apocalypse In The 'Cyanide & Happiness' Universe

"Cyanide & Happiness's" battle royale game.

25

Looking at the "Cyanide & Happiness" game "Rapture Rejects," it's filled with so much potential but in all is executed poorly. Not to mention that it was near impossible for me to even perform a review on the game due to the player base being near non-existent. When comparing it to other battle royale games on the market, it has a lot of catching up to do. Nonetheless, when it does work, it's not all bad.

The main plot point of the story is that the rapture has taken place, and God has chosen all those who are worthy to ascend to the gates of heaven with him. However, those who are left behind are left to fight amongst themselves to earn the chance to win a gateway ticket to heaven. Unlike other battle royale games such as "Fortnite" or "Apex Legends," this one somewhat has a story that is tied along with it. The game has a character creation system that isn't too bad and has a variety of comical traditional "Cyanide & Happiness" outfits. You earn tokens after matches, and you can earn outfits as well. The game does go heavy with the microtransactions, but it's only for cosmetic items, so there's no in-game advantage.

Like I said, the player base for the game is at an all-time low with about 20-30 people a day who play the game, so it's hard to get into a single match. There's only one map in the game, so it gets stale playing on the same one after a while. And when there are only like four people in a match, it's boring to just walk around hoping that you find somebody. Also, there are connectivity issues at times, and you'll get disconnected from the game, which sucks. Then you have to start the cycle of trying to find a game all over again.

When looking at the gameplay, right off the bat you notice the classic "Cyanide & Happiness" art style, which always makes me imagine that I'm in one of their comics or animations. Controlling the camera and looking around walls can and will take some getting used to, but around that, you shouldn't have any problem controlling it. The weapons in the game vary from short-range weapons to wide-range and explosives. Ammo is scattered around the map and sometimes blends in well with the map design. There really isn't a variety for the appearance of the weapons, and you'll find the same weapon almost every match. That doesn't mean that it's not satisfying to use, though. There are also different types of healing items such as beer and syringes scattered all over, too.

Overall, I don't believe the game is worth the $20 asking price that it has. If it was up to me, I would make the game free to play to have the player base skyrocket and focus on constant updates and cosmetic items. Why would somebody pay for this when "Fortnite" and "Apex Legends" are free?