Ranking the Star Wars films

Ranking the Star Wars films

The 8 films of the Star Wars franchise thus far ranked from worst to first

32
Ranking the Star Wars films
rebrn.com

Star Wars is arguably the most iconic franchise in the history of entertainment and they are back at it again this Christmas season with the release of Rogue One: A Star Wars Story. With that in mind, I take a look at all 8 of the current Star Wars films and ranked them from worst to first. Let me be clear, (Hi President Obama) I don't think any of the films are bad. I am just ranking them in terms of storyline and other factors. Spoilers (albeit minor) lie ahead, so you have been warned if you have not seen any of the films, or haven't seen one in particular. Let the Force be with us as we begin.

#8: Episode II: Attack of the Clones

Cringe worthy Anakin dialogue aside (Sand, that's all you need to know), this movie goes with the young Jedi in his upbringing through the ranks and his love interest Padame. Obi-Wan manages to get a bounty hunter on him in Jango Fett (Fans love his son) in one of the more underrated face offs in the saga, and the lightsaber duel between Count Dooku and Yoda is iconic. However, it does not take away from the fact that this movie is basically a 2 and a half hour set up for the Clone Wars. That's why it lands here.

#7: Episode I: The Phantom Menace

Jar Jar Binks, the true villain of the Star Wars saga to many, is a key reason why this film does not rank higher on the list. This sets the tone for the prequels, as we see Obi-Wan and Qui-Gon begin the journey of the Jedi, while encountering who they assume is the Chosen One (Anakin). Well, if they only knew. The Podrace and the epic duel between the two aforementioned Jedi and Sith Lord Darth Maul (How about that Double bladed Saber?) make this an enjoyable start to the prequels with the seeds being planted for the following movies, but again, Jar Jar Binks, yikes.

#6: Episode VI: Return of the Jedi

How could you have this in this spot? I'm sure some of you are asking this question right now. Here me out, while it does bring about a poetic bow in the saga of Luke, Leia, Han, Yoda, Darth Vader and Sidious, and a takedown of the Empire and the 2nd Death Star; the Ewoks are my biggest gripe. Now, don't get me wrong, they play a vital role in the downfall of the Empire, but really? They look like overgrown teddy bears with sticks and spears, and that could have been used elsewhere in the film. It is still an amazing piece of cinema, and what seemed like a fitting end for the saga.

#5: Episode IV: A New Hope

Back to where it all began, it set the stage for the remarkable run Star Wars has had, and will likely always be a huge reason for its success. It was a huge achievement in cinema in 1977, something that had never been seen before. Seeing Luke, Han and Leia grow as the movie progressed as well as the key supporting characters such as Chewbacca, R2D2, C3PO, and more made this film one that arguably sits on the Mount Rushmore of films. A New Hope indeed.

#4: Episode III: Revenge of the Sith

This is probably causing quite the stir having this at #4 ahead of two of the films from the original trilogy, but I will try to justify it. We all knew what was coming in this movie, Anakin's long awaited transformation into Darth Vader and turn to the dark side would be complete, and the stage would be set for the 3 movies that came before it (but are set after it, confusing for many, right?). That didn't change a thing though, as it was a roller coaster ride, with an edgy tone throughout. The lightsaber duels throughout are legendary, also can we all agree General Grevious was an incredible villain? The best Lightsaber battle in the entire franchise between Anakin and Obi-Wan on Mustafar gives me chills every time I see it. From start to finish, it is a masterpiece. It gets a bad reputation for being a "prequel" considering the other two comprise the bottom two on this list, but this was exceptional and deserves the billing of #4.

#3: Rogue One: A Star Wars Story

The baby of the saga debuted recently, and was set to fill in the gap between Episodes III and IV on how the Rebels attained the Death Star Plans. Expectations were interesting, and not many knew what to expect. What we got was one of the most exciting movies in years, one of the best in the saga, and a fantastic bridge with a great story in Rogue One. Jyn Erso, Captain Cassian, and more go to achieve the goal and find themselves in the middle of the Empire base, and a memorable movie ensues. Also, Darth Vader makes a few appearances, so that definitely helped matters. It blew away all expectations, and has set the bar high for future anthology films not on the Episode line. Well done Rogue One, well done.

#2: Episode VII: The Force Awakens

Admit it, you got as excited as a camel on Hump Day when you heard this movie was going to continue the legendary Saga in December of 2015. This introduced a whole new generation to the lore, and essence of Star Wars, and rekindled the love many superfans like myself had for the franchise. New characters such as Rey, Finn, Kylo Ren, Poe Dameron, mixed with the old faces such as Han Solo, Princess Leia, Chewbacca, and more as they quest to find Luke after he goes MIA is one for the ages, and a new dawn for the franchise. Is it December 2017 yet? I'm ready for Episode VIII.

#1: Episode V: The Empire Strikes Back

If you want a measuring stick for sequels in Hollywood, here it is, because this is arguably the greatest sequel of all-time. You could also argue it is the greatest movie of all-time. This darker 2nd story of the original trilogy has countless iconic moments, and takes you on a journey where the hero does not ultimately win. Han Solo being frozen in Carbonite, the opening battle on Hoth, the first confrontation between Luke and Darth Vader, and of course the legendary reveal of Vader being Luke's father seals this at the Top of the list, maybe to never be unseated. Your move, Episode VIII and beyond.