Ranking Taylor Swift's Albums From Best To Worst

586
NBC News

Taylor Swift recently celebrated ten years since the release of her first album, and it is incredible to see how much her music has changed and developed as she has grown into adulthood. Taylor Swift was 16 years old when her first album was released and 24 years old when her most recent album was released. I immediately fell in love with her music, but my relationship with Taylor Swift songs over the years has arguably shaped me into the person I am today, and I know I'm not alone in this. Below is my ranking of her albums in terms of how each song on the albums connected with me personally, but the middle, high school and college years are tough for everyone. We all have that one album that really helped us figure out love, heartbreak and the joys of growing up.

1. Red (2012).

This album is arguably her best one yet. Every song spoke to me in a personalized way, and it brought back the connection I felt with her music in the beginning. People love Taylor Swift's music because she puts into words what they were never able to, and this album has something for everyone. "Begin Again" shares the excitement but quiet nervousness associated with putting yourself back into the dating game after you've had your heart broken. The longing for past love is perfectly portrayed in "I Almost Do," "The Last Time," "Red," "All Too Well," "Sad Beautiful Tragic, and "Everything Has Changed" (which features Ed Sheeran, so how can you not adore that song?). Growing into an adult and feeling "22" is both terrifying and exciting, but Taylor sums up that feeling in one upbeat song.

2. Speak Now (2010).

This album has so many great songs that really resonated with me in my sophomore year of high school. Since most of Taylor Swift's songs are about relationships, it's understandable that this album helped me maneuver the craziness of being 16 years old. Songs like "Back to December," "Haunted," and "Last Kiss" put my feelings into words after I had broken up with my first boyfriend ever. "Enchanted" connected with me because I met a new guy and lived out every element of the song. Taylor Swift's songs are popular because of how easy it is to relate to what she has gone through, and "Never Grow Up" suckerpunches me in the stomach every time I hear it because growing up is scary, and being young and free is something we will never be able to get back to no matter how hard we try.

3. Taylor Swift (2006).

Her first album launched her into stardom, and it's easy to see why. I was in middle school when her first album, self-titled Taylor Swift was released, and I remember the first time I heard "Picture to Burn" on the radio in my friend's mom's car. Her song "Teardrops on My Guitar" helped me get over my middle school crushes every time I found out they were interested in someone else. "Tied Together With A Smile" got me through my angsty pre-teen years when I felt like the world was against me. "Stay Beautiful" boosted my self esteem during the trials and tribulations of middle school, and "Mary's Song (Oh My My My)" gave me hope that one day everything was going to be all right.

4. Fearless (2008).

I was 14 years old when Fearless was released, and the song "Fifteen" about her and her best friend choosing different paths when entering high school was all too real for me. The story told in "The Way I Loved You" affirmed my feelings for my first boyfriend and made me realize exactly what I wanted in a relationship: passion, true love and respect. "The Best Day" made me feel nostalgic for my childhood and took me back to simpler days when high school was an exciting prospect rather than an unfortunate reality. This album made me excited for high school and filled my mind with all sorts of potential scenarios with boys and friends.

5. 1989 (2014).

This is her worst album because all of the songs sound pretty much the same. The few gems from this album such as "Bad Blood," "Blank Space," "Style," and "Wildest Dreams" were worn out on the radio more than any of her other songs. This album abandoned her country roots completely in order to join the ranks of other pop stars, and that was disappointing to me. Some people may love this album, but I can't say that I played it over and over on repeat like I have done to her other albums. I wasn't able to connect with near as many songs in this album as in her past ones, but I have hope for any future albums!

All of Taylor Swift's albums are great, and it was difficult to rank them. Taylor Swift's music has taught me how to cope with heartbreak, put my most troublesome emotions into words and showed me that it's normal and okay to be afraid of what the future holds as long as we don't hold on too tightly to the past.