Ramadan Is Not The End Goal

Ramadan Is Not The End Goal

Don't use the celebratory spirit of Eid as an excuse to return to your old life.
4

Ramadan has come to an end this weekend with the celebration of Eid al Fitr. Although we've established good habits this month and engaged in extra prayers and good deeds, some still think that once it's Eid, they can revert back to their old lifestyle and take up their previous sins.

That is not the end goal of Ramadan.

Now that the blessed month has ended, we should take into account the positive changes we've made and continue to implement them into our life. We put our life on hold for Ramadan so we could understand that life should not be all-consuming. So why give that progress up? This month made you acknowledge the fact that worldly aspirations, hopes and dreams should not be at the forefront of your mind, eating you alive in a whirlwind of "busy living." With the mercy of Allah (SWT), you were able to pause your hectic lifestyle and dedicate your time and efforts to what really matters: the "akirah," the eternal life after death. So, don't demean your hard work and go off the handle, devoid of self-control.

Continue with your positive habits. Step by step, day by day, tell yourself you're going to make this day the most successful one you can. Then do it again the next day, and again, the third. Keep taking each day as it comes as though each day is your last. And if you reach out to Allah (SWT) for support, I promise you, it will become easy over time. This Ramadan, you tasted satisfaction in tranquil silence, found serenity in your prayers and felt solace in your newfound connection with the Almighty — all of which will endure, as long as you choose not to substitute it with the sinful passing pleasures of this world.

Even if you find yourself slipping back into your previous ways, and there's stagnant progress, here is one easy, foolproof advice that you can keep up with for the rest of you life:

1. Pick one bad habit you have, and drop it completely.

2. Then, pick one good habit you want to adopt, and do it every single day.

Whether your bad habit is binge-watching movies and shows or even something more serious acts like drinking or drugs, just select one, and drop it forever. Kick it out of your life. Deny it the power it held over you. Ignore it, hate it and treat it like it has betrayed you and ruined everything because it is what led you astray to begin with. If you truly put the bad deed in perspective and face it with the animosity it deserves, then you will not falter in giving it up and never doing it again. From there, you will progress.

As Ḥaḍrat ‘Abdullah ibn Mas’ūd (ra) narrates, the Prophet (pbuh) has said:

التَّائِبُ مِنَ الذَّنْبِ كَمَنْ لَا ذَنْبَ لَهُ

“The one who repents from a sin is like the one who has not committed the sin”

Now, choose one good habit you wish to adopt. This can be anything — as simple as doing dhikr for five minutes or more every day or even something Islamically required on a daily baisis, like completing your five daily prayers every single day. Whatever it is, adopt it, learn to love it, listen to inspirational talks about it, tell your friends and family you're going to do it so they support you or, better yet, do it with you. And then actually do it, every single day. If you build from there and set your sights on completing this one new habit religiously, it will eventually become habitual, so you won't struggle to fit it into your busy life. Before you know it, it will become a regular part of your day, transform who you are and impact your identity as a believer.

These two, easy changes in your life will turn it around for the better, so take advantage of the celebratory spirits of Eid to make a graceful transition to a new lifestyle post-Ramadan. Remember the mercy of our Lord, raise your hands in dua and promise Allah (SWT) that you will not let this golden opportunity go to waste. You will better yourself, you will succeed and you will see Him in the akirah with a glowing smile on your face, because you will have sincerely earned your way into Jannah.