Ramadan Is More Than Becoming 'Mo-slim' And Getting Dates

With all the hilarious puns comes an even more extraordinary month.
484

When welcoming Ramadan, we also welcome all the puns and memes that come with it. The memes and puns can speak for themselves, especially when it comes to the preparations for Ramadan. It is often times that we get into such a Ramadan high, and we meticulously plan every second of the day and listen to hundreds of inspirational lectures with feverish hope.

But after only two weeks in, our Ramadan high begins to turn into a Ramadan low. The fasting hits us in the stomach; the exhaustion of Taraweeh hits us in every inch of our bodies, and we just want out. The only thing we look forward to is losing weight and the end of the month.

SEE ALSO: 11 Ramadan Puns To Get You Through This 'Fast'

Warning: If you find yourselves in this situation, you should know that you've probably been doing something wrong. Sometimes focusing only on the fact that you can't eat can make you forget about Ramadan's real importance. In essence, Ramadan is about emptying our stomachs while feeding our souls. If you're only doing the emptying stomach part, then it's no wonder why you're not getting anywhere.

If you look at the word Ramadan, you find that it was taken from the word "ramad" which means extreme heat. Why is this important? What does heat do? Heat changes the state of an object whether it be from a solid to a liquid or liquid to a gas. Similarly, This is a month in which we change the state of our faith by focusing on the things that will nourish it.

Have you ever just felt dead inside? No, like actually dead inside — you feel like you need to be doing something with your life or with your time. Or maybe you've been at a point in your life where you question your purpose and goals. These feelings of discontent come from a place of spiritual malnourishment. We feel empty inside because we have no goals to look forward to and no means of sustainable fulfillment.

Ramadan is your one chance in the whole year to turn your life around. It's an opportunity served to you on a golden platter, and all you have to do is take it. The devil is chained, and everyone around you has similar goals. All you need to do is push yourself. Ramadan is like a spa treatment or vacation that has been long overdue. It's up to each one of us to now disconnect from everything that feeds our desires and plug into the things that feed our souls.

Take this one chance, this one month and change yourself change your perspective. Prioritize your life, organize your schedule and take action. Ramadan will be gone before you know it, and there's no guarantee that you'll make it to the next one.

SEE ALSO: Readying For Ramadan The Right Way: 14 Tips To Make This Year's Ramadan Rock