Ramadan During The Pandemic

Ramadan During The Pandemic

The pandemic is impacting every aspect of life.

82
Ramadan During The Pandemic
Photo by Rumman Amin on Unsplash

Ramadan is the Muslim holy month, a time when every able-bodied person is supposed to abstain from food and drink from dawn until dusk for the duration of the month. Ramadan is the ninth month of the lunar Hijri calendar, it starts about 2-weeks earlier every year, in relation to the Gregorian calendar. It's also a time for everyone to pray and ask God for forgiveness, help, and support, as worship is said to be rewarded more during this time.

This year Ramadan comes during a very difficult time, a time when people are yearning for help from a higher being, while at the same time forced to stay away from Mosques and places of worship. During Ramadan, Muslims gather every evening to pray and often share a meal to break their fast. But due to the Coronavirus pandemic, Muslims around the world are having to pray at home.

Despite these challenges, Muslims are finding ways to stay connected while keeping their distance. They are using video feed to congregate virtually and holding Zoom circles to help keep people connected and maintain a sense of community. This article highlights some of the things Muslims, in the U.S., are doing this Ramadan. Some people, especially the elderly who are having to stay away from others due to the pandemic, can feel lonely during this time. So Muslims are making it a point to keep in touch with them within their communities and provide meals for them if necessary.

During Ramadan, Muslims are supposed to be more kind, generous, and help those in need. In Orlando, for example, the Islamic Society here has been conducting food drives during the pandemic to help feed those in need and will continue throughout Ramadan. Other places are doing similar things to help keep the spirit of Ramadan alive.

If you thought fasting during this time would be a bad idea, think again. Researchers have found many health benefits in fasting, including that it can help boost the immune system. Here's an expert opinion.

The one good thing that came out of this pandemic, is that it helped us appreciate and cherish the little things we have. In some sense, it helped us see the importance of family and being together, at a time when many families don't even talk to each other on the dinner table. Ramadan during this time provides a great opportunity to stay connected, not only spiritually but with family, friends, and neighbors. If everyone would try to do something, even one thing, positive every day during Ramadan, it can hopefully continue throughout the year.