7 Racist DMs That You Should Avoid When Messaging Asians

7 Racist DMs That You Should Most Definitely Avoid When Messaging Asians

Racism in dating is nothing new - it's time to call those terrible DMs out.

676
Jessica Ma
Jessica Ma

The recent creation of Subtle Asian Traits on Facebook has created a massive stir in Asian and Asian American communities all over the world. From being forced to learn an instrument to receiving a scolding for wanting to pursue any degree outside of Engineering, Law, or Medicine, this page has allowed complete strangers to bond over shared racial experiences. Out of these common experiences, it appears that racist DMs from Tinder matches or Instagram followers are unfortunately also a widespread phenomenon. Here is a list of some of the best worst pickup lines that Asians hear all the time.

1. "So what kind of Asian are you lol? I love Jacky Chan and that one Asian dude in the Maze Runner hahahah"

What kind of Asian are we??? If you match with a white person on Tinder would your first message be "so what kind of white are you?? I loooove Tom Cruise and that one white guy in Black Panther hahaa"? No. It wouldn't. Would the other person be flattered? Probably not.

2. "Can you cure my disease? I contracted yellow fever ;)"

Ha ha ha. So funny!! If you really had yellow fever, I'd see a doctor immediately. Sorry to burst your bubble, but we are not some "exotic" group of people who exist solely for some fetish that you have. Surprise, I know.

3. "I speak some Chinese lol Konnichiwa🙏"

If you're even going to attempt to be culturally aware, please at least get the language right. It's great that you can speak some Chinese, but that information belongs under the skills section of your resume, not in a first DM towards a girl you're interested in. Also, news flash!! Not every Asian in existence is Chinese.

4. "Are you Asian? Because I'm China get into Japanties 😩💦"

I'm sincerely hoping no one would actually think this is an acceptable or even remotely witty pickup line to use on ANYone. Oh whoopy, you're so punny. Unless you're talking to a half-Chinese half-Japanese person, this wouldn't make any sense. Even if they are, this still would not get you anywhere near a first date.

5. "Dog eating and chill?"

Cool! Go on ahead and joke about racial stereotypes that Asian's children actually do get made fun of over! I'm sure this will earn you so many positive points with the person you're trying to impress.

6. "Hey you're really hot for an Asian"

Great! I'm so glad to be compared in my own category only to my own race! Very nice to know that you see us on a lower tier in terms of physical looks just because we belong to a certain race. You're really giving yourself a great first impression!

7. "U r my sushi roll 🍣"

This literally makes no sense. Is that good?? Bad?? Does that mean we fall apart easily and are best when we're cold?? Or are we often altered to fit the tastes of whichever predominantly white country we live in? Let me know.