A Student Of Mine Revealed Her Truth About Teachers And School And It Opened My Eyes

Just another observation from a future educator.

44
Peter Heeling

So this year I'm student teaching and I will graduate in December with my Bachelor's of Arts in English Education.

To say I'm ready is an understatement.

But, I have had a blast teaching in the classroom so far this year with these different students. It has been such an eye-opening experience to me and a fun one too. I could tell you a million stories so far that would make you bust a gut.

And I have some stories that would make you shake your head and question our Education system. Seriously.

So, at said school, there is this girl. Let's call her Rachel, and I made her cry.

Okay, let's back up before you think I'm a sadistic instructor.

Rachel wasn't there for the first day of school. She wasn't transferred into my class until about two weeks in, and school started here at August 5. My teacher that I am interning with (Clinical Faculty) taught the first couple weeks of class. And he taught Grammar straight from a book, every day, and made the students listen, every day, and take notes and do busy work, every day.

I'm not talking down on my Clinical Faculty. He really is a great guy and a great teacher. But that unit on Grammar was rough to watch, and the students clearly did not like it.

This is when Rachel was introduced to my English class, and she clearly thought it was just another stupid, boring English class.

But then last week I got to take over, and our first day we discussed literature and how powerful it can be. I told them that we are going to read stories together and explore themes and learn how to create and compose. I told them it's going to be an awesome journey until Christmas (when I leave) and if they just give it a try, I promise they won't regret it. Or I would apologize to them in December. I asked everyone in the class if that sounded good and if they believed me, and nearly everyone raised their hand and nodded except for one student.

Except for Rachel.

I asked her what was wrong and she said she didn't believe me.

Other students scolded her and told her to just raise her hand. I told them she didn't have to if she didn't want to, but she had to say why. Rachel looked at me, with so much doubt and hate in her eyes and said,"Teachers don't care about us. They just want us to get good grades and move on to the next year. They don't see us as individuals who can create and learn. You're full of it."

That resonated hardcore with me. Later, after class, some other students told me that Rachel was crying after class because she had never had a teacher talk to her that way before.

Rachel is still a hard one to read and a tough nut to crack. She doesn't let me in very often and there are times she falls asleep while I'm reading. But I'm getting more from her comment.

What does it say about how we conduct Education and School? Do her thoughts speak for a majority of students?

I'm not here to go on and give a solution to this.

I'm just here to possibly point out a problem that's in the air.