"Race to Success" Culture

"Race to Success" Culture

You can do your best and if they don't appreciate that, it's their problem not yours. -Unknown

278
"Race to Success" Culture
Flickr

In today's society, I feel like the internet makes you feel like you're doing nothing with your life. You're constantly bombarded with what everyone else has accomplished or what everyone else is currently doing. There's this huge propaganda that if you're not successful at a younger age, then you're failing at life or you're not good enough.

We see these 19-year-old's who post about purchasing their first house or how Timmy down the street got into an Ivy League school. It seems like everyone who's "more" successful than you is getting younger and younger. There's this constant pressure put on younger people that you have to do everything earlier that way you don't have to worry about it later, which is a huge misconception.

Let me take the time to say, YOU ALL ARE GOOD ENOUGH! Contrary to the Internet, it is perfectly OK to make mistakes. We all are far from perfect and are here on this Earth to learn from other people. The majority of people on the Internet only post their successes, which doesn't mean you're not successful just because you might be failing currently. We all have to go through failures to continue to learn and grow, which is perfectly OK!

You also mainly hear people's successes in day-to-day conversations, so it isn't just the Internet either! Most of the time a mother is bragging about how well her child is doing instead of what he/she might be struggling with.

For some reason, humans like to make things into a competition at a really young age. In elementary school, kids are grouped in "gifted" or "talented" categories while the others are deemed "average."

Since we were little, we've been taught to compare ourselves to others and to focus on what other people are doing to make sure you're not "falling behind."

We're told we have to get good grades, go to college, make a lot of money, marry the best spouse with total disregard to what if we face an obstacle and come across a bumpy road. We're so focused on succeeding that we don't cut ourselves slack when we might fail.

This is why mental illness has become SO much more common in today's world because kids aren't allowed to live in the moment and to take time to process. This pressure is not healthy!

Life is NOT a competition! We are always trying to prove ourselves to someone or seek approval for someone when we need to realize life is all about your individual journey and finding yourself. One of my favorite sayings to live by is "Be true to yourself" which is so important to come to terms with who you are and who you're destined to be.

We all aren't walking in the same direction or even the same pace. We all want to be successful in our own way and we all have our own definition of what success is. There's no set standard for success and don't discredit your success just because it might seem smaller than someone else's.

If you spend less time focusing on what other people are doing, you can spend more time focusing on your own success and accomplishing what fits your own personal goals.

At the end of the day we will never fully escape that mental trap of "being successful" until you realize that life is all about the process. Think of it like this, when you complete one goal, you typically start to think of your next goal, becoming a continuous cycle that doesn't end until you realize the end goal can't be your only source of happiness.

It's never too late to go after a dream! You are never too young or too old to accomplish something, you're not out of time until you die. Accept that you're worth it and go after anything you set your mind to. Growth begins when you begin to accept yourself.