One tree hill quotes

10 'One Tree Hill' Quotes To Embrace In 2019

This show is full of new beginnings, so maybe it can help you with yours.

76

"One Tree Hill" is, to this day, a source of some of the best life advice I've ever gotten. I know it sounds silly to say that about a TV show, but it's true. This show touched on so many problems and situations facing not only my generation but for everyone, at any age. As we're starting into the new year, there are endless possibilities for each and every one of us. 2019 is a new chance to become the best versions of ourselves. It was difficult to limit myself to only 10 quotes, but these are the ones that I think could have the most impact on how we choose to live this year. By embracing these quotes, even though they originated from a fictional TV series, we can make significant changes in any aspect of our lives and the lives of those around us.

1. "Do you ever wonder if we make the moments in our lives or if the moments in our lives make us?" - Lucas Scott

Episode: 4x14 "Sad Songs for Dirty Lovers"

Ah, Lucas. The source of many of the shows best quotes and thought-provoking questions. This one is a great question to carry into your new year. Be conscious of how the moments in your life are shaping and changing you, and how your decisions can simultaneously change those moments and affect the life you're living.

2. "It's hard to lose somebody. I spent a lot of time searching for reasons and answers. But you can't find what's not there." - Coach Whitey Durham

Episode: 3x03 "First Day On a Brand New Planet"

If Whitey isn't one of your favorite characters when it comes to imparting wisdom on basically everyone in Tree Hill, then you should sit down and watch it again. Whitey went through so much and he always has sound advice to offer anyone. If you entered the new year reeling from the loss of someone you love, whether they've passed or simply aren't a part of your life anymore, keep this quote in mind. Sometimes we don't get the answers we want, and we have to learn to cope without knowing why things happen the way they do.

3. "Happiness is a mood. It's a condition, it's not a destination." - Julian Baker

Episode 8x08: "Mouthful of Diamonds"

The charming love interest of Brooke Davis finishes this quote by saying, "It's like being tired or hungry -- it's not permanent. It comes and goes and that's okay. And I think if people thought about it that way, they'd find happiness a lot more often." Julian makes a fantastic point here. So many people enter into a new year with a goal of achieving happiness. But what they don't realize is that happiness is a way you feel, not a journey or destination to reach. Focus on things that make you feel happy, rather than focusing on reaching happiness at the end of something.

4. "Isn't who you were a part of who you are?" - Anna Tagarro

Episode: 2x05 "I Will Dare"

Some might not remember Anna, the fiery and stubborn sister of Felix, who was at Tree Hill High for only a short amount of time. But in her short residency on the show, she left us with this piece of advice. Many of us take "New year, new me" very seriously when January rolls around. We want to leave behind our old selves and become someone we think will make us happier. But Anna is right, in order to become a new version of ourselves and change our habits and mindsets, we have to embrace our past mistakes and who we were because it's helped shape us into who we are.

5. "There's no shame in being afraid. Hell, we're all afraid." - Coach Whitey Durham

Episode: 1x02 "The Places You Have Come to Fear the Most"

Coach Whitey, back at it again with the astoundingly accurate words of wisdom. He continues, "What you've got to do is figure out what you're afraid of. Because when you put a face on it, you can beat it. Or better yet, use it." Sometimes being afraid is what gets us through the worst moments in our lives. That fear drives us to do things we never thought we could. If you're coming into 2019 with an abundance of fears, heed Whitey's advice. It's okay to be afraid, and it's okay to get to know your fear. Use it to become a stronger version of yourself this year.

6. "The only people that tear happy people down are those that are unhappy." - Haley James Scott

Episode: 6x02 "One Million Billionth of a Millisecond on a Sunday Morning"

Haley James Scott, often the lighthouse guiding characters through rough waters, makes a great point with this quote. Those who are so engrossed in their own dissatisfaction and unhappiness are the first to try and drag happy people down to their level. Everyone wants someone to be as miserable as them because it makes us feel less alone. This year, even if you struggle with unhappy feelings or situations, try and resist damaging the happiness of those around you. You'll find your own in your own time.

7. "What you do matters. And how you do it matters." - Mouth McFadden

Episode: 9x13 "One Tree Hill"

This can apply to just about any situation you encounter in life. Whether it's your job, your relationships, your hobbies, the way you do things matters. The way you react, the way you carry yourself, the way you affect the people around you. It matters, and what matters, even more, is the way you do it. There's always going to be someone watching you, as creepy as that sounds. By conducting yourself with integrity, honesty, and a good heart, you're showing that it's possible for others to do the same. This new year, do what you do. And do it how you believe it should be done, because it matters.

8. "People have to cry out all the tears to make room for a heart full of smiles." - Jamie Scott

Episode: 6x13 "Things a Mama Don't Know"

If you're a fan of the show, it's no secret that Jamie Scott is wise beyond his years. He's always comforting those around him in times of sadness, even during situations that a child might not know much about. This quote might sound a little bit child-like and simple, but the sentiment behind it is something we should all consider as we get ready to close out the first month of 2019. Don't be ashamed or afraid to cry or be vulnerable, because in the end you'll most likely be left will a heart full of smiles.

9. "Life's too short, to fight, to be miserable, to let the bitter ones change how awesome you are." - Peyton Sawyer

Episode: 6x03 "Get Cape. Wear Cape. Fly."

Despite the fact that Peyton was known for her dark humor and her sometimes angsty doom-and-gloom attitude, she consistently offers some pretty great advice throughout the show. A new year often means new attitude changes, and this is one I think everyone should make. Peyton is absolutely right, life is too short and unpredictable to focus on petty fights or jealousy. It's too short to be anything other than exactly who you are.

10. "Stand up for what you believe in. The truth matters, so tell it, no matter what." - Haley James Scott

Episode: 6x18 "Searching for a Former Clarity"

Closing out the list is another quote from the brilliant Haley James Scott. This is one of my personal favorite quotes from the show. And while it's important to go into a new year with this mindset, it's important all year round. Standing up for what we believe in is what makes us human. Fighting for who and what we care about, telling the truth, they're all things that have shaped our world and our society to be the way it is. It's not always easy. It requires sacrifice, integrity, and a sense of trust that everything will work out the way it's supposed to.

So there you have it, 10 "One Tree Hill" quotes that can be applied to everyone in any stage of life as we trek through these next 12 months. You don't need the start of a new year to change your perspective or the way you go through life, but if you have new year's resolutions that you're committed to sticking to, maybe these quotes can help you in some way. This show is a source of wisdom (Seriously -- it's brilliant) and it's taught me a lot about life, about friendship, about family, and about myself. I highly recommend it to anyone looking for a new show to binge this year.