Spring is in the air, and I think the blooming flowers alone are enough to excite a person. That's why I gathered up quotes about all things Spring, so even when you're feeling dreary and blue, you can use some motivation to feel as bright & happy as a fresh Spring day.
Subscribe to our
Stay active, get organized, and take advantage of the time you have left before the new semester.
It’s August, and for many of us, that means planning for the upcoming school year. Of course, there’s still time for beach trips and bonfires with friends, but taking advantage of the month to come can make all the difference in making your semester the best it can be from the get-go.
Here are some easy things you can do between now and the first day of classes to give your year a head start:
Because sometime when life gets rough, you just gotta "Dance, Dance"
Fall Out Boy is such a timeless band- they are one of the rare bands whose music will never die out.
After all, they've been making music for over a decade now. Part of what makes FOB so great is that they have songs relatable for any kind of mood- no matter how you might feel one day or another, you're guaranteed to find a FOB song you can relate to because they'll be accurate for any occasion.
For example I love to listen to them when I'm working out because the upbeat intensity of their songs motivates me, but I also listen to them when I'm feeling down because their songs will make me feel better by either cheering me up or summing up my emotions perfectly. (Maybe the latter is because I never quite grew out of that teenage angst phase, but who knows.)
1. "You're a cherry blossom, you're about to bloom. You look so pretty, but you're gone so soon." -"Centuries", American Beauty/American Psycho (2015)
Starting out with this one because this is perhaps one of the sweetest song lyrics I've ever heard. It just sounds so pure and clever and I love it so much!
2. "I don't care what you think as long as it's about me, the best of us can find happiness in misery." -"I Don't Care", Folie A Deux (2008)
This is pretty accurate, because if you really love someone you guys can be happy together even if you're both miserable on your own.
3. "And I cast a spell over the west to make you think of me the same way I think about you." -"Bang the Doldrums", Infinity on High (2007)
4. "You are what you love, not who loves you." -"Save Rock and Roll", Save Rock and Roll (2013)
5. "I'm two quarters and a heart down, and I don't want to forget how your voice sounds." -"Dance Dance", From Under the Cork Tree (2005)
6. "I can move mountains, I can work a miracle... I'll keep you like an oath, may nothing but death do us part." -"Uma Thurman", American Beauty/American Psycho (2015)
7. "One night and one more time, thanks for the memories eve though they weren't so great. He tastes like you, only sweeter." -"Thnks for th Mmrs", Infinity on High (2007)
If you're looking for a way to throw shade at an ex who screwed you over, just quote this to them.
8. "And I saw God cry in the reflection of my enemies, and all the lovers with no time for me. And all of the mothers raise their babies to stay away from me." -"Golden", Infinity on High (2007)
9. "Come on, make it easy, say I never mattered." -"Young Volcanoes", Save Rock and Roll (2013)
Such a depressing lyric, even though it's a fairly happy song.
10. "And I want these words to make things right, but it's the wrongs that make the words come to life." -"Thnks for th Mmrs", Infinity on High (2007)
Yes, I quoted this song twice, but it's one of their most timeless hits, so.
11. "I'm just a notch in a bedpost, but you're just a line in a song." -"Sugar We're Goin' Down", From Under the Cork Tree (2005)
Throwing it back to one of their very first hits for this one- FOB were lyrical geniuses even back then.
12. "But I'll take your heart served up two ways. I sing a bitter song. I'm the lonelier version of you, I just don't know where it went wrong." -"Rat-A-Tat", Save Rock and Roll (2013)
There's just something so brilliant about these lyrics.
13. "If you knew what the bluebirds sang at you, you would never sing along. Cast them out 'cause this is our culture. These new flocks are nothing but vultures." -"Novocaine", American Beauty/American Psycho (2015)
This song in general has a really bitter tone but it's also a comforting song to listen to if you're struggling with a friendship or relationship.
14. "I wrote the gospel on giving up, but the real bombshells have already sunk." -"This Ain't A Scene, It's An Arms Race", Infinity on High (2007)
15. "Sometimes before it gets better, the darkness gets bigger. The person that you'd take a bullet for is behind the trigger." -"Miss Missing You", Save Rock and Roll (2013)
16. "You know time crawls on while you're waiting for the song to start, so dance alone to the beat of your heart." -"The Phoenix", Save Rock and Roll (2013)
This song sounds so pumped up, you just can't help but love these lyrics.
17. "You're just the girl all the boys want to dance with, and I'm just the boy who's had too many chances." -"A Little Less Sixteen Candles, A Little More 'Touch Me'", From Under the Cork Tree (2005)
18. "Let's hear it for America's sweethearts, but I must confess I'm in love with my own sins." -"America's Suitehearts", Folie A Deux (2008)
19. "My heart is like a stallion, they love it more when it's broken." -"Alone Together", Save Rock and Roll (2013)
20. "Sometimes the only payoff for having any faith is when it's tested again and again and again." -"Immortals", American Beauty/American Psycho (2015)
Honestly hella true. Also, this song was in the Disney movie Big Hero 6, so that makes it even more awesome.
21. "In the meantime, I'll sport my brand new fashion of waking up with pants on at four in the afternoon." -"Grand Theft Autumn", Take This to Your Grave (2003)
How relatable is this though, especially for those of us in college? If you're in college and haven't woken up at 4 pm at least once, you're lying. (Although contrary to FOB's words, sometimes it's more like waking up without pants on if we're being honest.)
22. "Oh, I'm a loose bolt of a complete machine. What a match, I'm half doomed and you're semi-sweet." -"Disloyal Order of Water Buffaloes", Folie A Deux (2008)
23. "And in the end, I'd do it all again. I think you're my best friend. Don't you know that the kids aren't alright?" -"The Kids Aren't Alright", American Beauty/American Psycho (2015)
24. "Are you ready for another bad poem? One more off-key anthem, let your teeth sink in. Remember me as I was, not as I am." -"Rat-A-Tat", Save Rock and Roll (2013)
Another song double quoted. I just love this song and its lyrics so much, I can't help it.
25. "'Cause tonight it's just fire alarms and losing you. We love a lot so we only lose a little." -"Death Valley", Save Rock and Roll (2013)
26. "A penny for your thoughts but a dollar for your insights, or a fortune for your disaster. I'm just a painter and I'm drawing a blank." -"Don't You Know Who I Think I Am?", Infinity On High (2007)
27. "I've got the scars from tomorrow and I wish you could see that you're the antidote to everything except for me." -"My Songs Know What You Did in the Dark", Save Rock and Roll (2013)
28. "I don't just want to be a footnote in someone else's happiness." -"Headfirst Slide Into Cooperstown On a Bad Bet", Folie A Deux (2008)
Again, very true.
29. "You are my favorite 'what if', you are my best 'I'll never know'."-"Fourth of July", American Beauty/American Psycho (2015)
Just...wow. This line, and this song in general, hits right in the feels.
30. "I cry tears you'll never see...so f*ck you, you can go cry me an ocean and leave me be." -"Save Rock and Roll", Save Rock and Roll (2013)
The reason this lyric is so great is because the rest of the song sounds slow and ballad-esque and then out of nowhere you hear them scream "f*ck you, you can go cry me an ocean!" and then return right back to the calm manner of the song.
31. "You were the song stuck in my head, every song that I've ever loved played again and again and you can get what you want but it's never enough, and I spin for you just like your favorite records used to...and I can't remember just how to forget the way that we danced." -"Favorite Record", American Beauty/American Psycho (2015)
I saved the best for last, because the lyrics in this song really hit me and resonate with me perhaps the most out of all of them...it also brings me to tears. Every time. Because I am an overemotional mess who cries over things as simple as song lyrics.
There are many reasons this band is so wonderful, their powerful lyrics being one of them. These guys truly have a way with words.
Whether you're happy, angry, depressed, in love, or need motivation while cramming for an exam, there are Fall Out Boy lyrics for whatever life throws at you!
It used to be my favorite day of the week, you took that away too.
It used to be my favorite day of the week.
You would wake me as I put on my church dress. You didn't go with me, but you dropped me off in that old beat up red Ford. After church was over, you would pick me up and we would go home and make sandwiches for everyone. Those old paper plates were so easy to clean up, but this mess you made isn't. I am stained.
And I can't stop remembering Sunday.
I used to love sitting out on a porch right before a storm begins and just feeling the pressure of the rain in the air before it even falls, and feeling the cold breeze get caught in my throat. But now all I think about is you and me sitting outside that one afternoon before that storm. I remember what we were wearing and the colors of grey in the sky. That storm never really ended did it?
I used to adore the vast depths of the ocean, you took me there for the first time. I remember throwing that frisbee in the air and watching the wind guide it into his little hands. Now his hands aren't so little and you only taught him how to drop things.
I remember the freedom I felt riding on your small bass fishing boat on Brookville Lake. You would open it all the way up and the front end of the boat wasn't even touching the water. I would close my eyes and I swear it felt like I was flying. Now my feet can't find the ground.
I used to beg you to let me ride with you every time you drove. You would put the windows were down as we blared country music and shouted the lyrics with all of our might. Now I can't go on drives alone without feeling you in the seat next to me. Those songs never end.
I actually used to enjoy the smell gas at a gas station when you pulled over and let me pump. Now I push my car as far as it can go on empty because the smell makes me sick to my stomach.
I used to walk with you as push mowed all the land we had behind our little green house on East Street. It took hours but I loved every minute of it. Ironically now, I am so allergic to grass I have to hide from it.
You used to let me light the match and bring the flame to your cigerette as you let the smoke fill your lungs. Now mine are full of the same smoke and I've been gasping for fresh air since you left.
You used to lend my your log johns and camo overalls before we left int he early hours of the morning to hunt for deer. You kept me warm in the thick inches of snow. Now I feel naked and I can't seem to find warmth.
I used to love the autumn season, when the leaves would fall in the most beautiful colors. Now I can't help but feel like they have been thrown from their branches and left alone to fall hard to the lonely ground on earth to never return to comfort.
A town that I used to call home, is now a burial ground of a woman you were supposed to save. Now I cannot return without the fear of running into my demons and ghosts of my past.
The word family used to mean the world to me and now it has become a one word joke. One that was never actually funny.
The saddest word in the world is "almost."
She almost held on.
He almost tried again.
She almost asked for help.
He almost found love.
She almost had a family.
He almost stopped her.
She almost waited.
He almost lived.
They almost made it.
We almost fixed it.
I almost forgot about Sunday.
There's something special about you, I can't quite put my finger on it.
My time spent with you is always among the happiest. There is just something so warm and calming in your embrace.
There's something so special about you, August. Something I can't quite put my finger on.
The sun seems to shine a bit differently.
You can almost feel the air turn a little crisp.
You're the last hope of summer but the beginning excitement of fall.
I celebrate a new year of life within your walls!
It taught me to reminisce on the good times spent here.
Finishing up the last bit of summer, getting my last travels in.
School is starting and you get to see all of the people you love whom you didn't get to be with throughout the summer.
It's the middle of the year, but it's also a new beginning.
Life is just joyous during your time.
It makes me look forward to what is to come and be thankful for what has past.
They say August babies feel all their emotions a little bit better than others; maybe that's why we are so in love with you.
Not much makes me happier than you. Thank you for blessing me this month, and thank you for bringing me fall.
Thank you for all that you are, August.
Your August baby.
1. Brittany Morgan,National Writer's Society
2. Radhi,SUNY Stony Brook
3. Kristen Haddox, Penn State University
4. Jennifer Kustanovich, SUNY Stony Brook
5. Clare Regelbrugge, University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign