A Quick Rundown of Hate Groups in South Carolina

Understand the differences between hate groups of South Carolina

833
USA Today

With the shocking events unfolding in Charleston, South Carolina with the murder of nine people in a church that is believed to have been racially motivated, it is now more important than ever to take a look at the different groups across the nation that help foster racist, homophobic, xenophobic and anti-semitic ideals. These groups create hate toward individuals and groups such as what was seen at the Emanuel African Methodist Episcopal Church on Wednesday that led to the heinous act.

Surprisingly, hate groups are present throughout almost all parts of the United States. According to the Southern Poverty Law Center, all 48 states of the continental U.S. contain at least one hate group. The SPLC define hate groups as "having beliefs or practices that attack or malign an entire class of people, typically for their immutable characteristics. [Their] activities can include criminal acts, marches, rallies, speeches, meetings, leafleting or publishing." In total, there are 784 active hate groups in the country.

In particular, South Carolina has 19. These include two in Charleston, the Patriotic Flags, a white nationalist group, and the Nation of Islam, a black separatist group. In total, South Carolina is home to eight different types of hate groups as named by the SPLC. A complete listing of them and their ideologies can be found below.

Anti-Immigrant

Groups include: Americans Have Had Enough Mauldin, SC

Although many different groups and individuals exist throughout the nation who are hostile to immigrants, these groups, in particular, are especially hostile to immigrants by intimidating them and their allies as well as pushing their racist ideals on others. Intense paranoia of a "reconquering" of America by Latinos or a secret pact between Mexico, the United States and Canada typically plague these groups.

White Nationalist

Groups include: Bob's Underground Graduate Seminar Columbia, SC; Council of Conservative Citizens Summerville, SC; Patriotic Flags Charleston, SC; Whitakeronline

These groups believe that America would not be a great country if it were not for white people. They often oppose the integration of races and maintain that all non-white people are inferior. Although some of these organizations are non-violent, many of them are proponents of violence and hateful speech toward minorities.

Racist Skinhead

Groups include: Confederate Hammerskins Columbia, SC

The members of the group can typically be identified by their shaven heads and thick boots. Members of this group typically oppose minority groups such as gays, racial minorities, and Jews. Their crimes against the aforementioned groups range from misdemeanors to murder.

Neo-Nazi

Groups include: Creativity Alliance; National Socialist Freedom Movement; National Socialist Movement Myrtle Beach, SC

Neo-Nazi organizations typically display a fondness for Nazi Germany. Their hate is directed toward many marginalized groups such as lesbians, gays, and minorities. Most of their hate, however, is reserved for Jews. Neo-Nazis are frequently paranoid about a conspiracy that Jewish people control many important factions of our government, economy, and entertainment.

Neo-Confederate

Groups include: Dixie Republic Travelers Rest, SC; League of the South Aiken, SC; League of the South/Southern Culture Center Abbeville, SC; Southern National Congress Travelers Rest, SC; Southern Nationalist Network Aiken, SC; Southern Patriot Shoppe Abbeville, SC

These groups strongly believe in old Confederate ideals and hope to see the public become more open to these ideals as well. Typically, neo-confederates oppose immigration and want to see the country return to its "traditional, Christian" values which in fact means anti-immigration policies, the opposition of homosexuality and race segregation.

Ku Klux Klan

Groups include: Loyal White Knights of the Ku Klux Klan; Original Knight Riders Knights of the Ku Klux Klan Gilbert, SC.

The KKK is one of America's most notorious hate groups. While they are famous for their violence and racism against African-Americans, they have also targeted Jews, Catholics, lesbians, gays and immigrants. Although it at one point held much power, the KKK today has few members and little organization.

Black Separatist

Groups include: Nation of Islam Charleston, SC

Members of this group believe in the separation of whites and blacks in society and government. They also oppose interracial marriage under any circumstance. In addition, black separatists believe that they are the chosen ones of God.

Anti-LGBT

Groups include: True Light Pentecost Church Spartanburg, SC

Anti-LGBT groups believe that an increase in the acceptance of homosexuality is what is causing America to decline. Members resort to name-calling and making up facts in order to make gay and lesbians and their allies look bad and scare people into opposing LGBT rights.

All information used in the article found at http://www.splcenter.org/hate-map#s=SC