Quick Guide To A Week In Paris

Quick Guide To A Week In Paris

Everything you need to see in the city of lights.

22
Quick Guide To A Week In Paris
The Huffington Post

Paris is always a good idea. A quick guide to a week in the City of Lights.

Paris has a certain romance to it. There is something about strolling through the cobblestone streets, eyeing the beautiful couture in the windows and sipping away at a cafe au lait in a corner cafe that is poetic and enchanting.

What To Do?

• The Eiffel Tower (Of Course)- An obvious must. There are a couple of ways to experience this worldly monument.
    • The first is to climb to the top. You can see ALL of Paris. The view is breathtaking. I've never walked up the stairs, but I doubt it is that fatiguing. For the less athletic type, there is an elevator.
    • A second option, if you've already done the first, or have a slight fear of heights, is to admire this art piece from a distance. Le Trocadero, walk to the other side of the river, up the stairs of the building (behind the fountain) this is a great sport for great pictures!
    • Lastly, is to picnic in the garden area in front of the tower! Pack a bag with a nice bottle of wine, a fresh baguette and some cheese and ham. If you prefer a more convenient option, there is a service called Picnic Paris which prepares you a picnic that you can enjoy anywhere in Paris!
  • The Louvre- Even for those less interested in art, the Louvre is a great time. They have updated, interactive, 3D digital guides on Nintendo DS devices. You can wander around this GIANT museum and learn about whichever pieces or collections you like best. My personal favorites would have to be the Spanish paintings by El Greco and Goya, as well as the Greek and Roman sculptures and the Napoleon III Apartment. Make sure to reserve about three hours for this trip.
  • Versailles- This beautiful French palace is a short train ride away from Paris. To really learn and absorb the wealth of history in the walls of Versailles, I recommend taking a tour, but from a purely aesthetic point, you can have a great time admiring the art and architecture of the palace. One thing is for sure, you have to explore the gardens and breathtaking fountains.
  • Champs Elysees- This is the largest avenue in Paris. There are great cafes to sit down for lunch but the obvious highlight of this attraction is the shopping. This street is known for its abundance of stores. Ranging from H&M to Louis Vuitton, the selection of shopping experiences on the Champs Elysees is sure to appeal to everyone.
  • Arc de Triomphe- I am including this monument directly after the Champs Elysees because it is located right at the end of the avenue. After relaxing after long day of shopping with a nice cafe au lait, you might want to consider climbing the stairs at the Arc de Triomphe for a beautiful Parisian view. If climbing stairs isn't your cup of tea, you can also admire the Arc from all along the Champs Elysees.
  • Notre-Dame Cathedral- Another great piece of French history, the Notre- Dame will blow your mind. Grand stained glass windows and classic French gothic architecture is sure to wow you.
  • Le Pont Alexandre III- This is the most beautiful bridge in Paris. It has an amazing view of Esplanade des Invalides, the garden that looks over the building Invalides (gold roof), where Napoleon is buried.
  • Montmartre- This is a large hill in Paris. The area on the hill is awesome for seeing street art and finding cute little restaurants. If you climb to the top you will find the Sacre Coeur Basilica and the best view of Paris imaginable.

Where To Eat?

• Pierre Herme- Recently voted the best pastry chef in the world, his ispahan and macarons are out of this world.
  • Laduree- One of the best macaron experiences I have ever had. The restaurant on the Champs Elysees is a different world. The decor is royal and the service is superb.
  • Les Deux Magots- This cafe was about a ten minute walk from my hotel and had the best croque madame I have ever had. Great place for brunch on a sunday.
  • Le Petit Cler- We ate lunch here on Father's Day with my dad and the staff was super friendly and pleasant. The raspberry tarte I had blew my mind.
  • La Fontaine de Mars- Great traditional French Cuisine. This is also where Obama dined on his last visit to Paris.
  • Le Saint Regis- Just the thought of the beef tartare here makes my mouth water. Walking distance from the Notre-Dame makes it a great stop for lunch before or after you visit the cathedral.
  • Le Georges- An absolute must. If you were in Paris for just one night I would recommend eating here. It is located on the roof of the museum Centre Georges Pompidou. The view is beautiful and while we ate dinner we watched the sunset over Paris and the Eiffel Tower light up. It was a dream. The decor is trendy and modern and they have a great indoor dining space as well.

This is only a short list of my favorite places to eat in the city, but if you wander the streets of Paris and walk into any cute corner cafe, you will rarely be disappointed. Be adventurous and remember, google reviews is a great tool also.

Comments:

• Beware of pickpockets. They love hanging around tourist spots and they will get you and you won't notice for hours. Keep your purse in front of you and never flash abundant amounts of cash in public.
  • I may have a different style of travel, but I found that the best way to experience Paris is slow and relaxed. If you are tired, sit down for a tarte at the nearest cafe. If you did a lot of walking that day, set a later dinner reservation and take a bubble bath. Paris isn't going anywhere, you can always come back if you miss something.
  • If possible, visit paris on the 21st of June. This is the national holiday for dancing in France. Everyone spends the day and night dancing in the streets. There are stages with bands and entertainers set up all around the city. This was one of the happiest and most energetic experiences I have ever had. I especially recommend exploring the Saint-Germain area on this evening.