17 Questions You Need To Ask Before You Date Somebody
relationships

17 Questions You Need To Ask Yourself Before You Start Dating Somebody

These are serious questions that you need to take into consideration before you just jump right into things.

565
Kelsey Dietrich

Relationships are one of the best means of personal growth. Not only are you learning how to care for another person as you share experiences together, but you also end up learning a lot about yourself as you begin to identify what your priorities, value preferences, life goals, and expectations are. Relationships, despite how they end, are great learning experiences; there is always something you can take away from the situation no matter how long the duration ends up being.

While it is impossible for you to have all the answers to the questions that follow, it is important that you are aware of these questions that will probably arise during your relationship.

Whether it's your first or your fifth, here are 17 questions that you need to ask yourself before you start dating somebody.

1. Am I ready to share my life with somebody?

Inviting somebody into the trials and tribulations of your life is time-consuming. There are pros and cons to it, but it ultimately depends on if you are comfortable with this other person knowing so much about you.

2. Have we talked about boundaries?

It's best that both of you are on the same page.

3. Am I comfortable knowing that this person, as I know them now, may not be the same person after I truly to get know them?

People change with time; this is inevitable.

4. How much time am I willing to spend with this person each week?

If you are not willing to spend more time with somebody as you transition from friendship to dating, then dating probably will not work out.

5. What methods of communication do I utilize the best?

You can use your best skills to show this person how much they mean to you easily.

6. What methods of communication does my partner want me to utilize?

In a relationship, it's all about compromise. What's your best communication method may not fulfill the expectations of your partner.

7. What makes me attracted to this person?

Looking for the characteristics that stand out to you makes you appreciate this person even more.

8. What is my primary love language?

Identifying how you best receive love is important for you and your partner to be aware of.

9. What is my partner's primary love language?

Identifying how your partner feels the most fulfilled is necessary for you to help fulfull that need for love.

10. How will my expectations for this person change when we start a relationship?

Believe me, when you put a label on it, your expectations WILL shift.

11. What do my parents think about this?

Maybe not basing all your decisions on how your parents feel, but it is useful to understand their thoughts and feelings about who you are choosing to spend your time with.

12. What do my friends think about this?

It's good to get multiple perspectives and your friends should know you pretty well.

13. Am I open to working through difficulties when they are arise?

Because we all know that challenges are bound to occur.

14. Am I prepared to accept this person for their flaws as they are exposed?

The more time you spend with somebody, the more you get to know about them... the good and the bad.

15. Am I ready to learn from all the experiences that I will have with this person?

We usually learn from the most difficult of times, but the awkward, uncomfortable, happy, sad, proud, and elated moments are all good teachers, too.

16. How can I make my partner feel loved?

Refer back to the importance of identifying love languages.

17. Do I understand that this relationship could last forever or that it could end when I least expect it to?

Intimidating to think about, yet it's the truth!