Queens Of The Stone Age

Queens Of The Stone Age

What Are They Doing Now?

44
Queens Of The Stone Age

Since 1996, Queens of the Stone Age has been sharing rock music with fans all across the world. Founder Josh Homme, made the decision of putting the band together after the previous dissolution of his band, Kyuss. Homme's took the role as lead vocals, guitars, and piano. The band has had some members come and go but Homme's currently stands along side of Troy Van Leeuwn, Michael Shuman, Dean Feritata, and Jon Theodore.

So why would a group of boys name themselves Queens of the Stone Age?

" Kings would be too macho. The Kings of the Stone Age wear armor and have axes and wrestle. The Queens of the Stone age hang out with the Kings of the Stone Age's girlfriends when they wrestle, and also it was a name given to us by Chris Goss. He gave us the name Queens of the Stone Age. Rock should be heavy enough for the boys and sweet enough for the girls. That way everyone's happy and it's more of a party. Kings of the Stone Age is too lopsided. "
- Homme (2000)

From their album Queens of the Stone Age in 1998, Rated R in 2000, Songs for the Deaf in 2002, Lullabies to Paralyze in 2005, Era Vulgaris in 2007, to their most recent in 2013...Like Clockwork, the band's music has been most described as "alternative rock, stoner rock, and alternative metal". Lead singer and founder, Josh Homme's has said on multiple different occasions that their sound is a "rock version of electronic music".

" There's a robotic element to our albums, like the repetition of riffs. We also wanted to do a record that had a lot of dynamic range. We wanted to set it up in this band so we could play anything. We don't want to get roped in by our own music. If anyone has a good song (regardless of style) we should be able to play it. "
- Homme (2000)

The most recent album, ...Like Clockwork, is the bands sixth studio album which was released in the United States on June 4, 2013, just a day after it was released in the UK. This album is the first album to feature full contributions from bassist Michael Shuman and Dean Fertita who is heard on the keyboard and guitar.

After the tour, Josh Homme's teamed up with Iggy Pop for a new set titled, Post Pop Depression. The two recorded in secret sessions dating back a year. The set released in March 2016 on Loma Vista Recordings making its debut on The Late Show With Stephen Colbert. The band was also assembled of the members from Queens of the Stone Age as well as some of the other previous collaborators Homme's has had experience with.

The band is active on social media and also keeps their fans updated on their website, http://qotsa.com/ .