Quarantine and 2020 Have Taught Me...

Quarantine and 2020 Have Taught Me...

Although some say it was the worst, this year has made me realize who I am and what is needed for my best self.

67
Pexels / freestocks.org

Who doesn't think 2020 was a tough and trying year? From the start, we all were in for a wild ride. From the COVID 19 pandemic, people turned against each other and America more divided then ever, I am surprised we made it this far. After many days reflecting what craziness went on this year, I changed perspectives. What if this was the year everyone needed to reanalyze their life and where we want to go. Here are a few things that I have learned through the trials and failure of the year 2020.

Change is okay

Starting college, I was so excited to start fresh and explore myself in new ways. Moving away from home gave me experiences I will hold dear. But when COVID shut off all the new things and places yet to explore, I was bummed. Sitting in my childhood bedroom, I grieved not having the normal college life I so desperately craved. I realized that this is temporary. The feeling of not getting the normal freshman year was upsetting, but I made the most of it. Zooming Saturday nights with my college besties felt the same as hanging in a dorm room. Change came as a growing and learning to make the most of the situation we were dealt with.

Family Bonding is Real

After getting sent home from college, I was stuck in my house with my crazy family. It has been a while since we were living together at the same time. I know it would be an adjustment for schooling and getting things done. My siblings and I sure grew a stronger bond this year and especially in quarantine. We had no one else to hang out with but each other, so we went full out. Game nights, daily walks and creating new activities brought us as close as can be. As much as we would get under each others skin, I grew a new appreciation for bonding and spending quality time with my family. Thank you quarantine.

Alone Time is Essential

Being home for 5 months and spending little time around others in fear of catching the Rona, I developed an understanding of quality time with myself. I am always one to go and do something with my friends or family, but in the end, you got yourself. I grabbed a book and relaxed. Went on runs and took myself to the park to watch the sunset. I learned that it is totally fine to love yourself and take care. The need for checking in with your body and thoughts was key to survival of 2020. I now appreciate the alone time I have all the time this semester. Love yourself and loving others will come naturally.

Theres No Place Like Home

Home is comfort. Home is where the dog is. Nearly half of my 2020 was spent in my house and in my hometown. I have never seen my neighborhood or spoken to others in my bubble. I enjoyed seeing new sights and exploring every inch of my hometown. Going to the beach or taking a bike ride around, I developed a sense of love and pride for where I call home. This time might have been living fully there. Who knows what the future holds or where I will go, so I am blessed to be a tourist in my hometown this year.

God Has Crazy Plans

Who knew this year would have turned out the way it did? I sure was in shock of all the things that 2020 has brought and continues to bring. God sure brought us through some trials to learn and grow from. The most important thing that 2020 has taught me was to fully put my trust in him. No matter how hard the days got, I knew God was still on his throne planning out what good things are to come. In him, I could not have gotten through this hell of a year. God has crazy big plans he is still mapping out. Trust it.

The learning that came along with the year 2020 is astronomical. This year will be one for the history books. On that, I am a better person and am going with whatever God throws at me. Who knows what learning lessons will come next!