How Quarantine Changed My Dating Life

Quarantine Changed My Dating Life For The Better, And I'm Grateful For It

10 weeks of no in-person dating and getting to know people via Facetime

377
Lexi Schroeder

I've been single for over a year and can honestly say being stuck inside for 10 weeks surely changed how I'll be dating from now on.

I'm a girl who enjoys going on dates and meeting up with new people. I can also say I'm a girl who used dating apps (Tinder, Bumble, and Hinge to be exact). But when the pandemic hit and my state shut down, my life of going out and meeting new people was immediately put on hold. When quarantine started, I wasn't really talking to anyone seriously and just kind of going with the flow.

I ended up becoming unemployed because of coronavirus (COVID 19) and since everything was shutting down, there was nothing to do except for swiping on dating apps.

After being on dating apps for almost a year, I can honestly say they truly get you nowhere. I realized that many guys are on there to pass time. I've said it many times before, but I'd consider myself a relationship type girl. Although being single is fun and filled with no worries, for the most part, knowing you have someone there on the other side is pretty comforting.

I found myself on the apps less and less and eventually I'd swipe for 30 minutes and not find a single match.

I pretty much came to a realization that I wouldn't be finding my future husband on Bumble. I know many other people were actually swiping right more often in quarantine because they needed social interaction, and I'll be honest, in the beginning, I definitely felt like my standards were dropping but then eventually became the highest I've ever had them.

Being on the apps made me realize that most of the matches I had were going nowhere. It could be months before I could hang out with them in person. And I appreciated this because you really can get to know someone and figure out their intentions while not being able to hang out.

I've noticed that I'm one to settle for less than I deserve sometimes because I get lonely. I've definitely fallen for the wrong guys before. But after coming to a realization that my next "perfect guy" isn't perfect, I think my next boyfriend could truly be the one with the new standards I learned in quarantine.

Follow Swoon on Instagram.