How A College Student Handles Quarantine

I have to admit, once I got the news that my university was converting to all online classes and that we were advised to stay off campus, I didn't know what to do with myself. I moped around for a week, bored and upset that I didn't get to share a proper goodbye with my friends. My sleep schedule was completely out of sorts and I wasn't eating or drinking near to enough water. Then I decided I decided I needed to take charge and get my life back on track. There's no telling how long this quarantine thing will last anyways. Here is what I did to get out of my slump:

Keep myself on a schedule.

I go to bed at 12:00 am and wake up at 9:00 am on the weekdays so that I don't get behind on my school work. I've got alarms on my phone with descriptions to keep my day structured. Some are to remind me to log in for online classes. Some tell me to get some fresh air. Some tell me to take a lunch break. Keeping my day structured in times like this keeps me sane.

Take time to go outside.

Being in quarantine means we're not allowed to go out to places where there's people. That doesn't mean we can't utilize our yards. I try to go outside for an hour every day to get some fresh air and to do some physical activity. Being active is key to staying healthy. Even if you don't feel like moving, get up and do a little something outside in the fresh air.

Do things I haven't had time to do.

Now that I'm not at college and constantly going to class, I've had plenty of free time to do things I lost the time to do. I have a lot of creative interests, including drawing, photography, writing, reading, listening to music, watching movies, and tv shows. This quarantine thing has provided me with an abundance of free time to indulge in those things I enjoy.

Voice chat with friends.

Physical distance is a thing, but that doesn't mean you can't hang out with your friends. I try to get together with my group and voice chat over some internet games every week and also just to check in with one another. I've even just randomly called a few to chat. It's good to talk to someone during these trying times.

Self care.

Sometimes I just feel overwhelmed. To fight that stressful feelings, I've been making sure to take the time out of my day to relax and reset. Soak in a salt bath, shave those legs, and put on a face mask. Drink some warm tea before bed. Get a good night's sleep. It's the little things that are important and that keep you charged and moving.

Chores.

The first thing I did after our extended Spring Break was clean. I cleaned everything. I cleaned my room, my bathroom, the hallways, the stairs. Everything. And it made me feel so much better. To look over at my dresser and not see a pile of clutter from the past three months feels so great. Clearing clutter can help clear your head. So try cleaning up your space and organizing a bit if you don't know where to start.