Trump's Taking Away Our Health Insurance Without A Plan?

What will happen to millions if Obamacare is repealed?

2

This isn't going to be a pity party, and a full disclaimer, I'm 99% sure down the road I'll be OK. I'm young, I have no pre-existing conditions, and I'm sure I'll be able to find a job that's better than my current one that will offer me benefits. Basically, I'm saying I'll get health insurance again.

Until then, though, I'm kind of left hanging out to dry. Hopefully something major doesn't happen that's out of my control. For many people, though, they aren't as lucky as me. Some people have pre-existing conditions and will have things revoked from them because the rules that protected them are now gone. Some people are older and can't receive Medicare yet and will lose their insurance until then. Whatever example you want to give, some 20 million people will be affected in one way or another.

Let's not forget either that before the Affordable Care Act, premiums and prices were out of control. There was also lifetime limits on coverage, people could charge you more if you had something like diabetes. The system was completely broken and needed fixing. Obamacare fixed and/or laid the foundation for those things to be fixed. While premiums are still rising, and are still too high for some, they aren't rising as much or as fast as before.

I've had countless conversations with my friends and family whom I agree with and disagree with about what is about to happen. I think that a lot of people are naive about what Trump can actually do with a Republican-controlled Congress. People who voted for Trump or even people who just didn't care have been telling me "well he can't just throw people off health care," and other various statements similar to that. Yes, he can. If there is no replacement right after a repeal, it will happen.

Talking to some of these people gives me a little bit of hope though because these people aren't monsters, and don't want people to not get healthcare. Some of these people just think either Obamacare sucked and there could be something totally better, or think that we should build upon Obamacare.

That's fine, and I'm OK with that. I'm on the side that acknowledges that Obamacare isn't perfect and it should be built/expanded on, but remember that your votes have consequences. Trump hasn't come up with a plan yet and a lot of members that are in Congress have had six years to come up with a plan, and there's nothing to show for it.

If what people are saying is true, and he really will come up with a plan that is better and replaced on the same day as the repeal then I'm 100 percent fine with it. I am partisan, and I definitely root for a team, but if someone from either party helps ensure the goal of everyone getting healthcare at an affordable cost I'll be happy. Until then, if there is no replacement after repeal, I, and millions of other Americans are screwed.