Put-In-Bay With Bae?

Put-In-Bay With Bae?

Why your girlfriend isn’t cut out for this kind of weekend.

23
Put-In-Bay With Bae?
Samantha Vidnovic

You’ve been dating for months. She has practically moved into your college house with you, and she tries really hard to be “one of the guys,” but when it comes to Put-In-Bay, can she really hang? The truth is probably not. But why?

She wants to be your best friend.

You two share a special bond that is unlike any other, and she is your best friend, but in a different way. She’s the type of best friend who looks out for you when it’s not as cloudy as you thought it would be and you forget your sunscreen. She closes your tab at the bar before you leave when you’re too “partied out” to remember. You go out of your way to make her feel like a part of the group when she hangs out with you and your group of friends. You surprise her with concert tickets to shows you know she loves even if it means sitting through yet another hillbilly country show.

She’s a best friend, just not the type of best friend to share a dip spitter with because that’s just gross. Ew.

She wants you to have fun.

There is no question that guys get rowdy when they’re all in a group. Even if it’s all in good fun; whether it be a table, a door, or someone’s leg, something is going to be broken.

Her kind of fun is splashing in the pool with you and having you show her off to all your friends. Guys' fun is wrestling in the pool to see which friend they can hold under the water the longest. Guys say, “Hold my beer,” and immediately you hear something shatter.

She’ll eventually get fed up with you guys being so rough and treat herself to a drink on your tab, which she’ll have to close for you when you leave the bar because we all know you’ll forget.

She’ll want to spend time with you.

When it comes to a big group trip, of course everyone is squeezed into one house for the whole weekend, so you would think this alone would be considered enough quality time. Right? Wrong.

She’s going to want to hang out with you one on one. Spending time with everyone on the deck playing games and listening to music will be fun the first day, but as the weekend goes on, being in such close corners will be less than exciting. Even the island shuttles seem big until you fit 20+ people into one ice cream truck with strobe lights. The tight spaces seem less and less ideal.

When you get kicked out of the pool for jumping in after the owner and the DJ have banned it, but the rest of your friends aren’t ready to leave yet, maybe that’s when she’ll get the chance to spend time with you alone eating pizza at Frosty’s. Again, not ideal, but definitely probable.

She’ll try to be “one of the guys.”

She’s around when your friends get wild at college, but spending a weekend with everyone in Put-In-Bay is a different extreme. She’ll prefer Mojito Bay over Level Two because of the bar stool swings and having her toes in the sand, but she’ll still have a blast with you as you both laugh when your roommates strike out with girls. She’ll try to help and be a wing-woman, and talk up your buddies like they’re the next ABC’s Bachelor, but let’s face it; some of your friends will ruin it on their own anyway. She’ll drink beer with the boys and buy the next round, and it’ll seem like it’s all working out. She’ll crack some jokes on your shuttle ride home because your buddies couldn’t even hang onto the bull at TJ’s longer than the girls at the club.

When you all get home from Delaware Ave, and you think you can relax, she’ll be surprised. Of course you’re sharing the house with a bunch of other people, and she should be used to the boys by now, but really, one of the guys going to the bathroom with the door open to the room she’s supposed to stay in? Great, looks like she’ll be searching fumigation hotlines tonight. Ugh. She’s not one of the guys, and if her sorority sisters go home a day early, then she probably should, too.

And to the tune of an old Brad Paisley song, just remember, I’m still a girl!