5 Ways To Tell That You've Crossed The Line From 'Nice' To 'Pushover'

There is such a thing as being "too nice."

245
Zack Minor

There's a fine line between being nice and being too nice. Of course, it's a great thing to be a kind person and to help people out, but that doesn't mean you should let people push you around. So how can you tell the difference?

1. You never say "no"

People might be asking you for help left and right, and you might have a ton of your own stuff to do, but you still say that you'll help them because you're just that nice. It's okay to say "no," especially if you're already swamped with stuff to do. I'm sure they'll find someone else to help them or just do it themselves. If they get mad at you, then they probably aren't real friends anyway.

2. You smile and nod even when you don't agree

This was a big thing I had to overcome personally as well. To avoid conflict, you simply stay quiet and agree even when you have some concerns or disagree completely on the inside. Make your voice and opinions heard! You have great ideas; share them with everyone else!

3. You say "sorry" when it isn't your fault

Another big thing of mine: I kept apologizing for things that weren't even my fault. Sometimes I would get bumped into and I would be the one saying "sorry." No more of that. You are a person with the right to your own personal space, who is deserving of that same respect that you give others.

4. You make yourself suffer for the happiness of others

This goes along the lines of #1 and #3 because you'd rather suffer than risk displeasing others. It's okay to put yourself first and be a little selfish sometimes. Life doesn't have to be fair 100% of the time and you don't always have to make yourself available. Take care of yourself first, then if you have a little free time, go ahead and lend a helping hand.

5. You're quick to forgive

Along with being quick to apologize, you're quick to forgive. Even if someone hurts you or offends you, you'd rather settle the conflict than have that person feel bad. But if they hurt you, why shouldn't they work a little to earn your forgiveness? It shouldn't just be given away.

Are you seeing a common trend here? All of these points have to do with putting others' needs before your own. If you keep doing that, then you will have already crossed the line from being "nice" to just being a pushover. Remember that you have a backbone too.