Breaking Out Of My Comfort Zone

Learning To Push Myself Out Of My Comfort Zone Has Been The Best Feeling

It's easy for us to stick with our daily routine, which can leave us feeling stuck.

121
Sade Yinger

I was feeling stuck for a long time. I was stuck in a state of mind where I wasn't living life to the fullest. I was stuck in denial and in a state of repression. I pushed away all of the things I knew I should be doing. I knew I could do better but I felt so stuck in my ways; not knowing where to start.

I simply accepted the fact that I will never be happy with my body. I just told myself that there's nothing I can do to change my biggest insecurity. I constantly felt as if I was stuck in a cycle. I would be motivated to change my lifestyle and then after a short bit, I would lose my drive. This would happen time and time again. I convinced myself I would never be able to live a healthier lifestyle.

I needed to venture outside my comfort zone. I needed to visit the gym; something that scared me. I needed to change my eating habits. I had started to make unhealthy choices and I desperately wanted to change myself. So how did I overcome multiple fears and venture outside my comfort zone?

First, I surrounded myself with supportive people. Luckily for me, I have a couple of great friends that are already accustomed to the fitness lifestyle. They are patient with me and answer my questions. They support me by shouting encouraging words when I need it the most. They hold me accountable for my actions which is something I've never had before. Surrounding yourself with people that share the same goals as you is really helpful. I didn't feel so alone in this journey of self-improvement.

Second, I had to learn a lot of self-control. It's pretty obvious that my poor decisions in the past are what lead me to be unsatisfied with my weight. I had to do a lot of reflecting on myself. It wasn't always easy. I had to say "no" a lot more than I wanted to. I had to push myself when I felt like giving up. I just continue to picture the end goal in my mind.

Lastly, I had to learn that skinny does NOT mean healthy. Growing up, I always envied the skinny girls. I never really considered myself "skinny"' or "fit" even throughout my school-age years. I always felt differentiated from my classmates because I didn't have a flat stomach. However, lately, I have discovered that the number on the scale does not determine whether or not I am healthy.

What makes me healthy is my MINDSET. This isn't just something I'm saying to make myself feel better. I truly believe that if I want to view myself at a higher standard, I have to start with being healthy. Having a healthy mindset means your main goal is not about just losing weight. It's about learning how your body works- how to properly fuel your body and exercise efficiently. It's not always easy. You make sacrifices and truly transform your lifestyle in order to become fit. I am just beginning this journey and I definitely have a lot left to learn. I want to continue to learn what choices are best for me and how to achieve them.

My main goal isn't just to lose weight and I urge everyone to stop worrying about the number on the scale and focus on your mental health. Your physical health will usually improve once your mind is healthy and on the right track. Just remember that you can become fit without losing weight. Everyone's bodies are different. Not every fitness story is relevant to you, so learn what works for you and work hard at achieving it.

I feel a lot healthier now that I am being conscious of what I am putting in my body. I no longer eat without thinking. I no longer avoid the gym. I no longer stick to my comfort zone. I broke through my insecurities. Over the years, my insecurities truly built a wall that just got bigger and bigger. I have to learn to break through my comfort zone because I desire to be healthy.