Why I Am Stepping Out Of My Comfort Zone And You Should Too

Standing on the edge may be scary, but jumping in to the uncomfortable may be the best way to grow

554

No one likes being uncomfortable. I, for one, hate change. I would be content just sticking to my routine and doing the same things with the same people every day for the rest of my life.

I know that's not realistic, though, and it is definitely not healthy. Humans are meant to grow, change and develop over time. We are not meant to be stagnant. But how exactly do you build up the courage to be vulnerable? Push yourself out of your comfort zone.

I am stepping out of my comfort zone at this point in my life for many reasons. I am starting new chapters of my life, whether I want to admit it or not.

I begin my senior year of college this fall; I turn a new decade, 20, in less than a month; and I just recently got out of a year and a half long relationship with the man I thought I was going to marry.

Yikes.

As much as I want to stay in the comfort of my routine and the past, it just isn't what my life needs right now. I need to use this time to explore and discover myself and the only way to do that is to put myself in cripplingly uncomfortable situations.

Even though my entire life at this point is one cripplingly uncomfortable situation.

Being vulnerable is different for everyone. One way for me is by writing for this website. I have always loved writing, but the thought of letting someone else read it made me want to throw up from anxiety.

Look at me now.

This is published on a website for anyone and everyone to read. A couple of months ago, I could not have imagined myself doing anything like this. I am so happy I did though.

Doing something uncomfortable has made me realize that this is something I really enjoy doing. I enjoy sharing my thoughts and opinions with others on subjects I am passionate about.

Not everyone is able to step up to the edge of their comfort zone and just dive into the deep abyss that is vulnerability. You can start slow.

No one is pressuring you to chop off all of your hair and move to a different state. If you're a college student, that might mean joining a new club or organization where you don't know anyone. It might mean introducing yourself to your professor and going to visit them during their office hours.

It could mean facing your fear of needles and going to donate blood, or even going out to dinner by yourself. It can be small stuff. As long as you are pushing yourself to experience new things, you are going to experience a change in who you are as a person.

Yes, you might feel awkward and strange, and you may end up doing things that you end up not liking. But you may also find a new passion, a new friend, or a new love for something or someone.

Challenge and change will help you grow as an individual and it will open your mind to new ideas and perspectives. And isn't that the goal for all of us? To become better versions of ourselves?

You may think, oh I'll start on new years, or on my birthday. No, that is not the right mindset. What better time to start than now?

Be uncomfortable. Be awkward. Be vulnerable.

That's how you'll find your courage and that is where you will ultimately find yourself.