The Pursuit Of Something New

The Pursuit Of Something New

Learning to be okay with deviating from the original plan.
10

For those of you that know me, you know that I am a highly organized and a thought out person. Everything has a place and purpose, and nothing goes without thorough investigation. This theology and practice especially applies to planning for my future. From a young age, the question "What do you want to be when you grow up?" has always had an answer. Yes, the answer changed about every year, but I always had a plan.

When I was five, I was all too determined to be a mermaid princess. My plan was to be one of the best swimmers in the world, and magically develop the ability to breathe underwater and grow a tail. Maybe, even a haphazard accident like in H2O: Just Add Water. A few years later, I wanted to become the top marine biologist, and planned to graduate from the University of Madison Wisconsin, one of the best marine biology school at the time. And the list of dream jobs and plans continue.

For every job phase I went through I took the time to think my career path out. Including picking out the classes I would take in high school, and the university I would attend. I would read about what each job entailed and how much I would make. Whatever aspect you can think of I researched it, and it is a lot more fun than you would think.

When I hit sixth grade, I fell in love with film. I was watching The Sorcerer's Apprentice and fell in love with the inspiration and magic that movies create. I started watching movies and then re-watching them with the director's commentary. Trying to get all the tips and tricks I could. As you probably guessed, I did my research, and was captivated by the highly exclusive profession. From there, I started writing scripts for movie ideas and would think about the shots that I would take. From the beginning of middle school all the way through high school, minus one semester, I was completely sold on the idea of becoming a film director.

Last year, I entered my first year of college as a film major ready to officially make my dreams come true. Most of the art classes I had to take for my first year explored different branches of art. From drawing to wood shop and design. I wasn't too excited about having to take classes that didn't pertain to my major, but I knew I had no option. So, I went into my classes with no expectations, and did not expect to find a new passion: graphic design. I have always loved looking at different designs and had developed a certain aesthetic, but I never thought that it was something I could do. Taking the digital tools class opened my eyes to the different possibilities of design, and I truly enjoyed creating.

The thought of wanting to do something other than film scared me. For years, I had cultivated and invested in the dream of becoming a film director. Over the summer, I had some free time on my hands and started designing little typography designs. That small time waster turned into a true passion. Design ideas began flowing through my mind, and the idea of changing my career path became a more probable idea.

In short, deviating from my usual sureness and planning, I have officially decided to change my major from film to graphic design. However, I am still holding on to the dream of working in film, and will be declaring it as a minor. Cheers to the future!