I'm Proud To Be A #PsychNerd

Why I'm Proud To Be A #PsychNerd

Know any psychology jokes? I'm A-FREUD not.

408
Why I'm Proud To Be A #PsychNerd

Ever since I was little, I've always been a curious girl. I am constantly thinking about people's motives, reasons for doing something, and simply just how they came to be the person they are. If you know me, chances are I have analyzed the heck out of you... #sorrynotsorry. Little did I know that this obsession would turn into something that would become my passion and something that I could make a career out of.

After taking AP Psychology last year, I was hooked. First of all, I was OBSESSED with my teacher who I loved and felt so connected to. She truly made the class so engaging and enjoyable and is definitely a key reason as to why I loved the course so much. However, I had plenty of amazing teachers during high school who made going to class so much better. It's one thing to love the teacher and another to love the content, and this caused me to think: this is my calling and this is my contribution to this world. So I took that thought and ran with it.

Coming to college I could not wait to get started on my college psychology courses. Last semester I took Social Psychology and Child Psychology and this semester I am enrolled in Psychopathology and Problems in Living as well as Perception and Sensory Processes. While I overall love all the classes and am finding the information valuable, there are definitely things that I don't like. I guess I underestimated that classes are classes no matter what the subject, and there is always something that you're going to want to change or something that you don't find interesting. However, I still leave every single lecture being able to take away something valuable and feeling even more inspired to want to make a difference in this world.

Now for the more important part of things: why I have a passion for psych and why I think it's important for everyone to learn about it. Psychology is not just about the study of the mind and behavior, it's about so much more. I have learned about things ranging from group behavior to how our eyes work to relationships to aggression. When I sit in class, I feel like I am becoming a more mindful and understanding human being. Everything I learn in my psych classes I can apply in some way to my the challenges I face on a day to day basis. And ironically, the things I learn are somehow always perfectly timed to the exact thing I am struggling with... coincidence? Probably not because I over-analyze everything lol.

The most frustrating part of my psych obsession is that I often get annoyed when people make ignorant comments or decisions based on the sole fact that they don't know the information. For example, a lot of these issues have to do with the stigma of mental illness and how people either are unable to get help or are not supportive of others who are struggling. For example, saying that so and so looks "depressed," that they are acting "OCD," or being being "antisocial," are oftentimes not used in the correct context. Mental illness is not a joke, but it is something that is not talked about and something most people don't know enough about. I am hopeful that one day schools will start requiring discussions and classes around mental health awareness.

However, these sentiments also translate to things like their daily interactions with family, friends, and loved ones. Oftentimes I have these "ah-ha" moments where I notice someone behaving in the exact same manner as discussed in one of my classes—things like self-serving bias or conformity, phrases that probably mean nothing to you yet things you are likely to do on a daily basis. This is especially hard when it comes to my family and close friends and instances where this lack of knowledge actually affects me, when I just literally want to shake their heads and yell at them because I wish they just knew about all of these terms. But I recognize that unfortunately, I can't change the whole world all at once. I just find the information so dang valuable I wish everyone knew... I can't help it! Psychology is EVERYWHERE, man.

I'm not sure exactly where I want to go with my psychology career. From marriage and family therapy to guidance counseling, I am honestly interested in every type of psych career in the book. But what I love the most about psychology is how broad it truly is, and the fact that I don't have to decide yet is great. Whether you have a passion for working in a mental hospital or want to work for Google, a knowledge of psychology will be useful.

Okay, I'm not saying that everyone needs to switch their career path and become psych majors, because then there would be no doctors, lawyers, teachers, engineers—all those other good professions n' shtuff. However, I do see the value of taking on a psych class or two at some point during college if you can fit it into your schedule. You will be amazed at the number of times that I have used my knowledge to help out my family and friends and the fact that I can turn this love of mine into a source of income down the line makes me so excited for the future.

Proud to be a #PsychNerd today and every day.