I’m The Girl Who Goes To Concerts Alone

I’m The Girl Who Goes To Concerts Alone

And it doesn't change the experience one bit

3622
I’m The Girl Who Goes To Concerts Alone

I had spent the weekend in Philadelphia with a friend that I’ve been close with since high school and who now attends Temple University. We went into the city, walked around, ate some good food, and had a great time. On Sunday night, he got me on the Philadelphia subway, and I took the Broad Street line to the AT&T Pavilion stop, which leaves you right in between the Wells Fargo Center and the Lincoln Financial Field.

I had purchased a ticket to see the Red Hot Chili Peppers in October, it was now February and I was seeing them in Philly. I get off the subway, find my way to the stadium and make my way to my seat. Not long after, I started talking to a very nice man and his wife sitting next to me. It turns out they were familiar with Broadcasting(my major), and the man worked with Telecom, which is the more technical side. A little while after the conversation had started, the woman asked me if I had come to the concert alone, I told her yes!

She responded with,“good for you” and she smiled.

I know this doesn’t sound like much, but I am so used to my elders pouting at me when I tell them I do things alone, especially attending concerts and shows. It was so refreshing to have someone give me positive feedback about going to the show by my lonesome.

Ever since I was young, I was always excited about going to concerts. I prefer smaller venues that provide more personal experiences with bands and performers, but I’ve been to a few stadium shows too. Either way, I have no doubt that live music is the best music and that going to a concert is an experience.

I am 20 years old and I can say that I have successfully and happily gone to concerts by myself. It doesn’t bother me to say it and it doesn’t bother me to “admit” it.

Here’s why I like going to concerts alone.

First of all, as I stated above, attending a concert is an experience. For myself, it may be the best experience that I can think of besides traveling to a new place. The feeling of the music hitting my ears, the crowd around me sending out an amazing energy, and experiencing it all with the people that made the music. I think it’s incredible.

On another note, when I attend a concert by myself, I learn a lot more about the people around me and I can talk to them. Some people go places and don’t speak to those around them, but if I want to, I can connect with other people that like the same music as I do.

Lastly, I go to concerts for myself. It is something that always makes me happy, even if I miss the last train back to New Jersey and spend the night in Penn Station.

This past year I saw Brian Fallon & the Crowes, OneRepublic, and the Red Hot Chili Peppers by myself. I can honestly say the experience was not any less than it would have been if I was with a friend.

I’m going to keep going to shows – with or without a buddy, doesn’t matter to me.