Why I'm Proud To Have Attended Community College

And you should be too

193
The Baltimore Sun

“Where are you going to college?”. This is the question that I dreaded answering during my senior year of high school and the first two years of college. I went to community college. No, I’m not stupid or poor, but I do have an Associate’s Degree and a lot more academic experience than you do.

All throughout high school, my parents leaned towards the idea of me starting my college career at the community college, but I wouldn’t have any of it. So, I worked my butt off, got good grades, participated in extracurriculars, and did everything that I was supposed to so that I didn’t have to be the only one of my friends who wasn’t leaving home. Eventually, it became inevitable that I was spending my first two years a mile down the road, but I have to tell you, I’m glad I did. Community college weans you into the college experience, saves you money, gives you the chance to make new friends, and lets you find your true self.

As I lived my life vicariously through my friends’ Twitters and Instagrams, I actually realized that my academic life seemed a bit easier than theirs. Instead of 300 people to a class, we had 20. Having a smaller student-teacher ratio means more one-on-one time with the professor. I took full advantage of this, and you should too. Getting to know your professor opens the world to better grades, communication skills, and (hello!) recommendation letters. My professors at community college were some of the best teachers, and people, I had ever had. This is extremely difficult to establish when 299 other students are fighting for the same attention. I took full advantage of this, and you should too.

Community college also taught me how to… study!! This skill became extremely important when I transferred to my current university. I never studied in high school, so all-nighters and poor grades hit me like a bus. By learning from my first semester, I was able to spend the next year and a half perfecting my study techniques and transferred them with me to my four-year university.

*Disclaimer: The work at community college was JUST as hard as it is at my current university. Don’t think that it will be “just like high school”!*

Another perk of community college is (spoiler alert): IT SAVES MONEY! Tuition is approximately 1/3 of the cost per semester than at a public college or university. This will save you about $6,000 a year or $12,000 for the full two years. That’s the price of one year of room and board. Are you filling out your application yet!?

On top of saving money on tuition, staying at home also reduces the costs of other necessities and also gives you the opportunity to work. Living at home equals free food and free room and board, and lets you start racking up your savings account with your paychecks. The lack of vomit in the hallways and absence of drunken floor mates ding-dong-ditching you is a plus, too.

If the topic of money bores you, I’m sure that I can convince you by saying you’ll make new friends (cause that’s what everyone wants, right?). When your high school friends basically abandon you for the “real” college life, it gives you the chance to make new besties! Maybe it could be the girl in your English 101 class that you never talked to in high school or the cute boy in your speech class. College is for new beginnings, whether you’re five minutes from home or five hours.

Unlike four-year colleges or universities, community college gives you the opportunity to experiment with classes and find yourself. The first two years of college are dedicated to lots of prerequisites, but lots and lots of electives. Since tuition is overwhelmingly cheaper, you can take as many classes as you want in order to test the waters and find what you want to do with your life and career. Trust me, this will come in handy come junior year when the real world is coming at you in full force.

So, wear your community college t-shirt with pride on “college day” at school, there’s nothing to be ashamed of. Because I was eased into the college experience, saved money, made new friends, and found my true self, I am thriving at my current university, and I owe it all to community college.