A Proud American

A Proud American

A Thank You to those who sacrifice so much for this great nation.

13
A Proud American
Corinne Thibodeau

Growing up in a small town in Massachusetts, I never realized just how many lessons my small town was teaching me- not inside of the classrooms I passed through but outside of them. For me, my hometown always seemed "boring", but now, after having traveled and resided in other states- I could not love and appreciate my small little corner of the world any more.

Living in the Nation's Capital for a year and a half taught me many things. How to use public transportation, how to live in a "big city" and to become more independent and reach out of my comfort zone. It taught me more about politics and different career paths, and it taught me about adapting to new places. I had always admired the beauty of D.C. and the memorials around the District- but I never fully appreciated my educational background that my hometown taught me, providing meaning behind them until I returned home to Massachusetts.

The monuments in D.C. are not just stones.Arlington National Cemetery isn't just a cemetery. I always thought that other individuals from the country were taught just like I was growing up how these represented what it costs for Our Freedom each and every day. Yet, I was disappointed to discover not all Americans understand that. Not all Americans look at the monuments with love, appreciation and feel as blessed as I do. Some call them boring because they were raised in the D.C. area and they're used to seeing them on a regular basis.

To the person whom alerted me that not all Americans understand the meaning behind these monuments- Thank you. Thank you for showing me that I am truly blessed to come from a hometown with love and pride. Thank you for showing me that I am blessed to have parents who installed strong American Pride and values into me from my birth. I encourage you to learn about the names on the graves in Arlington National Cemetery. I encourage you to reach out to a Veterans organization and listen to those who have stories to tell from overseas and at home. You just may learn something and you may end up providing yourself with a deeper meaning about what it means to be an American- because life isn't just about the 2nd Amendment- which you would not have without thes brave individuals sacrifices for you overseas and at home.

To my small hometown in Massachusetts- Thank you. Thank you for teaching me about the values and faces behind these monuments and graves. Thank you for always treating Memorial Day and Veterans Day with pride and love for each of those who have fought and died for Our Freedoms in this beautiful country. Thank you for being the hometown to cares about it's young citizens growing up to become Proud Americans who understand what it means to have the Freedoms we do in America.

To My Parents- Thank you for bringing me to each and every Veterans Day, Memorial Day and Forth of July Event since I was born. Thank you for educating me along with Our Hometown about what it truly means to be an American. Thank you for having the red, white and blue Christmas trees, for singing the classic Lee Greenwood Americana songs, and for introducing me to so many amazing veterans around my hometown. Because of this foundation, I will never take my freedoms for granted.

To my Friends and Loved Ones who are Enlisted- Thank you. You are all brave and courageous. You are some of the strongest people I have met in my life and I want to thank you all for what you do for not only you and I but for Our Country as a whole. No matter which branch and where you are stationed, please know you always have friend in me and can reach out anytime you need something. Thank you for the memories we have created and will continue to make. Thank you for putting your lives on the line for America- in a time where hate seems to rule over love, you continue to show that there are still amazing individuals in America who will always put their love of freedom before themselves.

To my Friends and Loved Ones in the Reserves- Thank you. Thank you for your service while you were enlisted and for continuing to pursue your careers in a field where you still sacrifice so much day in and day out for us all. Thank you for teaching me- for reaching out and answering my questions (if you could) and for never making me feel stupid when I asked what those acronyms stood for.Thank you for always having time to send a text and check in on me or FaceTime me when you knew I was having a bad day. You are all amazing and highly appreciated. Thank you for the memories we have created and will continue to make.Thank you for showing me what it truly means to be an American.

To the Veterans in my Community who I have been Blessed to know- Thank you. For so many years, you were the faces of the community that I knew protected Our amazing homeland. Yet, as I have gotten older, you have taken the time to tell me your war stories- you have taught me about true love- you have reached out a helping hand to so many people in both war time and as civilians.Thank you for your service to Our country and Our community.

To those who have been KIA- Thank you. I was only a freshman in high school when PFC Jonathan Roberge US ARMY was brought home from Iraq. It was my first military funeral experience and it was the most beautiful tribute for someone who gave it all for Our Freedom. The week he was brought home was not only educational but inspiring to see people from all over come to pay their respects to a young man who was brave and loved his country and community. To those who were brought home from Korea and Pearl Harbor- Thank you. You all will never be forgotten- and I can assure you that. This is my promise to you to always remember your names, faces and the sacrifices you made for Our Freedom and Security.

To those who have been POW- Thank you. Thank you for being brave and courageous. Thank you for standing by your country even when it became even harder to do so. Thank you for being some of the strongest individuals in America.

I cannot express how much I am proud to be an American that understands the story behind the stars and stripes. I am truly blessed to live in this amazing Country where there are so many willing to sacrifice so much for all of Her people- even for those who do not understand the sacrifices that others make for them each day. I am so blessed to be an educated American- to have so many from my family who have served this great land overseas and at home. I could not be more grateful than to be able to reside in not only this Country but the State of Massachusetts in a community who celebrates and understands what the brave men and women in uniform sacrifice for us all each day both on our homeland and overseas.

If you are an American who does not feel the same pride or has not been as blessed to have parents and a hometown community who install these American Values into you, I encourage you to reach out to a local Veterans organizations, read a book about a war that interests you regardless if it's the Revolutionary, Civil, WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, Afghanistan or Iraq Wars, watch a history channel documentary, volunteer to lay wreathes at Arlington National at Christmas- I encourage you to reach out and educate yourself with reputable sources. It's time to take responsibility for your actions and learn how to respect those who sacrificed it all for you regardless of color of skin and gender identity factors. I encourage you to become Proud to be an American- because We are all truly lucky and blessed to be a part of this amazing land.