Protect Mattress Mack At All Costs

Protect Mattress Mack At All Costs

It's safe to say, Mattress Mack, with his catchy slogans and sparkling personality, is one amongst many Houston legends.

83
Protect Mattress Mack At All Costs
Twitter

As a Houstonian, I, and many others are still in disbelief over the catastrophic flooding that invaded our city about three weeks ago. Now that Houston residents are slowly recovering from Hurricane Harvey's wrath, mentally and physically, it is reasonable that we acknowledge the many heroes that helped our city in its lowest, most vulnerable point.

Within the massive amount of people that have provided immense help, one person I want to spotlight in this piece is Jim "Mattress Mack" McIngvale. Locals will know exactly who this man is and what he does, but for others out there reading this, I will include some brief history and describe the significance Mr. Mattress Mack holds to our city.

Mack, now the owner of popular retail-chain in Houston "Gallery Furniture," began just like all of us –with the aspiration to be successful. He worked at a furniture store in Dallas, Texas, simply because he needed a job. From there, he acquired the drive to start his own business. Once a location was secured with a real-estate agent, and investments were made, Mack headed on down to Houston to begin his new life as a businessman.

Mack opened up his first store in 1981, with $5,000 to start up. He was severely doubted by many, as they claim he would never prosper. Over the years, Mack has not only became a Houston icon, but has utilized his success to assist those in dire need.

In 2005, when the notorious Hurricane Katrina hit New Orleans, Lousiana causing major devastation, Mack welcomed evacuees in open arms offering his stores as a shelter.

Not only does Mack aid in times of natural disasters, he has hosted giveaways during the holidays in which residents may nominate needy families to win free furniture. He also is a grand contributor to the funding of local UTHealth's Mobile Stroke, a specially-equipped ambulance that allows stroke unit team members to quickly discover the cause of the stroke in a patient, and if it can be safely administered.

Via Twitter: @MattressMack 

In more recent events, the charitable acts of our beloved Mattress Mack have gone viral. After Hurricane Harvey swept through Houston, causing major flooding and displacing families all across the area, Mack felt he needed to reach out to his community, and fast. He posted a video on Facebook announcing that he would be opening his doors to those left homeless by the raging storm. Not only was he providing shelter, he also ensured that those in need could arrive safely to the stores by sending out furniture trucks to rescues those trapped by high-flood waters. He allowed displaced families, and pets, to utilize all pieces of furniture in his store to sleep comfortably, while also providing food, water, and other necessities donated by those inside and outside the Houston area.

It's safe to say, Mattress Mack, with his catchy slogans and sparkling personality, is one amongst many Houston legends. The generosity of him, his employees, and volunteers and their willingness to help over the past few weeks have demonstrated the kind and sincere man he and the entire city of Houston is.