The 12 Pros And Cons Of Living With A Roommate

Living with a roommate is not for everyone.
920

Many people find themselves living with a roommate at some point in their lives. However, there are both pros and cons that come along with such a living arrangement.

Pros:

1. There's always someone to confirm your outfit decisions.

Picking out a good outfit for an event is typically a ginormous struggle. Having a roommate guarantees another person to check over your outfit before you leave in order to make sure you are ready to slay whatever event you are headed to.

2. They'll help motivate you to actually go to your classes.

Sometimes the hardest decision of your day may be whether or not you want to actually go to class. Skipping just seems so much easier than actually getting out of bed and walking to a different building in the blistering cold. Therefore, a roommate is beneficial because they can give you the extra motivation you need to brace the cold and help keep your G.P.A. in a good place.

3. It's cheaper.

Having a roommate usually allows you to split the cost of rent and utilities with you allowing you to save some of your money.

4. They help you clean.

All of the messes made can be cleaned up in half of the time it would usually take to clean up. If you're lucky, you may be able to split the chores in such a way so that you don't have to do the chores you dislike the most.

5. Automatic friends.

A roommate ensures that there will usually be someone around to hang out with when all of the people you typically hang out with are busy. So, when it's cold outside and no one wants to leave their home, you will still have a friend around.

6. Sharing.

Have you ever been getting ready to go out and then realize you have nothing to wear? Have you ever run out of something and have no time to get to the store? When you have a roommate, you can always ask them if you can borrow whatever you need at the moment!

Cons:

1. Less privacy.

The more roommates you have, the less privacy you have. There may only be one small space that you can escape to for some sort of privacy. However, if you live in a dorm you may not even get that. You'll just have to get used to having someone else around all the time.

2. Their schedule might clash with yours.

Whether they have to get up early in the morning or they come back late at night, a roommates schedule may have some conflicts with yours. This could include you waking up to their alarm or you hearing them open the door very late in the night and waking you up.

3. Too much human interaction.

Sometimes you just want to hide away and not see or speak to anyone for a couple of days. However, when you have a roommate, there's always someone that you'll have to see and speak to.

4. They may be messier than you.

While you may be able to split the chores evenly, it won't necessarily be fair if they're making a majority of the mess. This is where communication comes into play in order to ensure that there's a fair workload.

5. Possible enemies.

You may love your roommate, but you also may strongly dislike your roommate. The easiest way to get through having a bad roommate is to just attempt to be civil.

6. Sharing.

It can be a good thing but it also can be bad. For example, you want to wear a specific shirt to that dinner you're going to tonight but your roommate borrowed it and now it's dirty.

Roommates aren't for everyone make sure to check the pros and cons when deciding whether or not you want to share a living arrangement with someone else!