Pros And Cons Of Being A Gender Studies Major

Just a Few Realities of Pursuing One of the Coolest Majors Ever

827
Saint Joseph's University

I came to college as a major in English Literature with a minor in Library Sciences. However, about halfway through my first semester, I learned how easy it was to double major in English and Gender Studies. I instantly knew that it was the right choice for me! As I’ve made my way through my first two years at school as a Gender Studies major, I’ve found out that there are some great (and unexpected!) consequences to studying in the field. Check out my top pros and cons of being a Gender Studies major!

PRO: You get to feel empowered in all your Gender Studies classes.

This pro can be chalked up to great teachers. One of the best parts of Gender Studies is having teachers that care about you as an individual and who work hard to help you find out how you can benefit the social justice causes that you’re passionate about. Haters will definitely get you down if you’re a Gender Studies major, but the fabulous support group that is a Gender Studies faculty makes up for it.

CON: More people annoy you than ever before.

As you learn more and more in the field of Gender Studies, lots of people—LOTS OF PEOPLE—become less appealing. You’ll find yourself cringing at things people say about race, class, gender, and privilege more often than you ever did before you started pursing a Gender Studies degree. Because of this, you’ll probably get more vocal when people advocate for nonsense such as “the gender/pay gap is fake”. I know that I’ve had to back away slowly from more than one fiery debate that I’ve leaped into.

PRO: You get to hang with likeminded folks in your department!

Like I mentioned in the first con in this list, defending yourself and your areas of study from people who are critical of social justice as a discipline can get exhausting. Gender Studies classes are a welcome solace from that environment! You get to participate in constructive conversations about the issues that matter to you and connect with people who share your passion for social justice. Learning from one another is one of the tenets of Gender Studies, and it’s a great practice found in Gender Studies classes.

CON: You discover that you have a lot more problematic faves than you thought. A LOT more.

For me, this was the most unexpected result of becoming a Gender Studies major. As soon as you become aware of how prominent sexism and misogyny are in our culture, you see it in EVERYTHING. Music, movies, books, social interactions, and pretty much anything we accept culturally is soaked in gender-centric issues. Things that you were totally okay with before are suddenly problematic (my number one problematic fave is Taylor Swift). There are times when it’s hard to find the balance between enjoying the things we love while still recognizing the problems embedded within them (and even harder to explain that dynamic to non-Gender Studies people).

PRO: You get to be an agent for change.

What could possibly feel better than knowing that you’re learning things that will help you make your community (and the world!) a happier, more diverse, and more welcoming place? Everything that we learn as Gender Studies majors can help us become more compassionate. It helps us to put ourselves and what we know out in the open so other people can learn it, too. It helps us get in touch with each other—each other’s struggles, each other’s strengths, and each other’s histories. So pick a social justice issue that matters to you and dedicate yourself to it! Involve yourself with your local Gender Studies department or organization—there’s a lot of change to be made!