Pros And Cons Of Going To College In Your Hometown

Familiarity vs. freedom: What will prevail?

82
Elizabeth Rathburn

Usually, when looking for colleges most students look outside of their hometown in order to “get away” and “have the college experience.” While I did not exclusively limit my college search to just my hometown, circumstances brought me right back to where I started. For one, it's the school my mom attended, the school where I had music lessons, the school where I had already taken some core classes and the school closely associated with my high school. Here are some pros and cons I have gathered based on my six months of on-campus living.

Pro: You already know where key places in the area are.

Whether it’s the mall, movie theater, zoo, beach, library or a good restaurant, chances are you have been there before multiple times. You feel a rush of power when someone asks if anyone is local and you immediately paint a brilliant picture of your city and offer to be a tour guide.

Con: You don’t find these places as exciting as your new friends.

You forget not every city has a zoo or a peninsula and while it may be fun to watch other people experience these places, it may not be as fun for you to experience. And of course, a familiarity short-circuit may occur and you forget every single store in the mall you’ve been to all your life when asked, “So what kind of stores are in the mall?”

Pro: You already know what to expect fo the weather.

You have packed your rain boots, your snow boots, and your flip-flops because you are prepared! And everyone has been forewarned by you with some tips and a yearlong approximate forecast.

Con: You can’t complain about the crazy weather.

At least, not too much. You are a seasoned northerner who has dealt with copious amounts of snow your whole life while the Californian down the hall has not.

Pro: You can easily visit your high school and see your younger friends and favorite teachers.

You can still volunteer for the same organizations or help out at performances or see shows and games. If your high school was like another home to you, this will be comforting.

Con: You may feel out of place.

Understandably so, since you have graduated and are older than all the other students. It may be a slight shock to realize life at the school has continued without your class gracing the halls.

Pro: You can go home and see your pets whenever you like.

Some days a wagging tail or hand nudge is all it takes to turn a frown upside down. While there may be animals on campus for your enjoyment, nothing beats lying on your bed with your favorite furry friends curling up with you.

Con: You will want to bring them back with you.

And you can’t for multiple reasons.

Pro: Your family is close if you need them for anything at the drop of a hat, but far enough away so that you feel like you have your own space.

There is a “Good morning, Sunshine!” text from your mom, a link to a humorous story from your dad, and occasional updates from your brothers with goofy emojis. You go home maybe once a month and see them in person because FaceTime does not replace hugs.

Con: Absolutely no con to this.