When You Lose Someone You Love

When You Lose Someone You Love

A reminder of the peace, comfort and hope we can find through our hurt when we cling to the promise of Heaven.

516
When You Lose Someone You Love
Jeff Milton

Just two weekends ago, my family and I attended the celebration of the life of our dear, lifelong friend. There were laughs as we reflected on memories, and tears as we grieved with our friends. But overall, there was a sense of peace that overcame every other emotion as we remembered that our friend was in his forever home in Heaven and that we could all choose to see him again one day.

Mr. Terry was a lot of things: hilarious, loyal, thoughtful, easy-going, caring: the list could go on and on. Those closest to him will continue to miss and celebrate him for these wonderful traits and more, but the most important way to remember Mr. Terry was as a faithful believer in Christ.

As Good Friday and Easter Sunday approach this weekend, I couldn't help but find a bit of comfort in taking the time to really reflect on the gift that these three days represent. Most of us may know the story of Christ's sacrifice and resurrection, and therefore know that Easter means much more than just bunnies and hunting for candy-filled eggs. But have you ever stopped to truly grasp what He did for us?

There's a reason we call him Our Savior. First, there's the fact that He obeyed God's will, and laid down His life to take away the sins for ALL of mankind, even the very ones who hated Him. This shows a greater love than any of us could ever know, both on The Father and The Son's part. Secondly, the miracle and power of the resurrection three days later offers us the highest hope in the promise of eternal life with Him after our time on Earth is through.

This second gift is what brings me peace, and my hope is to extend this peace from God to those who may be grieving over a loved one. The heartbreak of losing someone we are close to is undoubtedly unmatched, and grieving is necessary for us to go through.

But as believers in our grief, I hope that we cling to the promise of our permanent place with The King of Kings. I hope that we can be comforted by the thought of our loved ones forever in a state of pure bliss while in the presence of the Lord. I hope we can find rest and relief from our tears as we remember that we can also choose to be in paradise with Our Creator, and be reunited again with those who are in our hearts.

For my precious friends who had to say goodbye to their husband and father: I encourage you to stay strong and hold on to the truth of The Word. Remember that this "goodbye" is actually a "see you later." In the times that may seem the darkest, I pray that you can find a glimmer of hope in the peace that comes with the promise of Heaven.

I am forever in awe of the love Our God has for us, and the ultimate gift He gave us. Jesus lived His temporary time on Earth for the purpose of giving us the gift of forgiveness, and the choice of eternal life with Him.

When His earthly life was finished, Jesus returned to sit at the right hand of His Father among all the angels. And just like Him, our loved ones, including my friend Mr. Terry, are returning as angels back to The Father, too. And what thought could be more comforting than that?

1 Corinthians 15:55-57 “Where, O death, is your victory? Where, O death, is your sting? The sting of death is a sin, and the power of sin is the law. But thanks be to God! He gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.”
Psalm 119:50 “My comfort in my suffering is this: Your promise preserves my life.”
Revelation 21:4 “He will wipe every tear from their eyes. There will be no more death or mourning or crying or pain, for the old order of things has passed away.”
Matthew 5:4 “Blessed are those who mourn, for they will be comforted.”
1 Peter 5:10 "And the God of all grace, who called you to His eternal glory in Christ, after you have suffered a little while, will Himself restore you and make you strong, firm and steadfast."
John 3:16 "For God so loved the world that He gave His one and only Son. So that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have everlasting life."