Make A Promise And Follow Through With It

"You're never too old nor too young to make a resolution, so just go for it!"

11
Youtube.com

New Year's Eve is a time to not only reflect on your experiences from the past year but also to make promises and set goals for the days to come. Some of the most common resolutions people come up with during the new year include losing weight, finding a new job or just to simply enjoy life to the fullest. Although these goals are set by steady hearts and determined minds, many people lose sight of them after a few weeks and sometimes even after a few days. Just as the holidays zoom by, so too do many of our new year's resolutions. In order to stop that from happening, there are a few things that I've learned from others that can help.

The first thing everyone must do when setting a resolution is to write it down. I know this might sound trivial, but it is actually one of the most important steps. By writing something down you are telling yourself that this isn't just some goal you have in the back of your head, it's something you can transfer down onto paper and make into a reality. Keep this written down promise in some place that you frequent often (like a mirror in a bathroom or a desk in your office). These visual reminders will tell you each and every day that you set a goal and are willing to achieve it. Though it sounds so cliche, some of the most successful people have sworn by this very rule.

The second thing we must do when setting resolutions is to pick one that is both attainable and workable. While shooting for the stars is always good to do, you don't want to set a goal that is not reachable. Give yourself something you can work at and attain so that once it is met, you will realize that goals can always be within your reach. Once you met your first goal, set another and maybe you'll find out that success is mostly a mind game. Go ahead and lose that weight and get that dream job of yours, but never forget that it takes hard work and time to get there.

Lastly, don't ever give up and don't ever have any regrets at the end of the year. I have talked to so many people who have set goals in the past only to lose sight of them and wish they had held on to them later down the road. Don't fall into the lazy and comfortable trap like everyone else. Reaching our resolutions is going to make us feel uncomfortable at times, but remember what you are doing and why you set it in the first place. You're never too old nor too young to set a goal, so set one and see where life takes you!