From Prom To Personal Assistant: Being My Sister's Biggest Fan Is Just As Fun As Attending Prom

Growing up has its perks.

28
Danielle Fengel

Prom season has rolled around again and for the first time, I won’t be attending. Prom has always been a huge event for my friends and I (me in particular). I loved to go months ahead of time to start scoping out the dresses, booking my hair and makeup appointments, etc. The day before was always the nail appointment, the final teeth whitening, face and hair masks, the works. When the big day arrived, I was all about it. I’d wake up and have a great breakfast and then begin my day, coffee in hand.

This will be the first year that I don’t attend prom after attending for three of my four years of high school. Instead, I’ll be on the sidelines making the big day a glamorous event for my younger sister. While I’m nostalgic to go back and relive the event for myself, I’m learning to be excited for all of my sister’s big high school events instead.

This year instead of waking up to indulge in my own big breakfast, I’ll be making a nice big breakfast for my sister to enjoy.

This year instead of obsessing over my perfectly manicured nails, I'll be "oohing" and "awing" over my sister's nails as she shows them to me excitedly, waiting for my approval.

This year instead of picking up my prom date's boutonniere, I'll be heading to the floral shop with my sister to pick up her prom date's boutonniere.

This year instead of sitting in a chair, getting my hair done until every last curl is exactly in place, I'll be standing behind my sister, hair spraying and pinning to perfection.

This year instead of watching my face transform under the makeup lights of my favorite makeup artist in town, I'll be watching excitedly as my sister sits in the same chair I have several times before, getting her own beautiful makeover.

This year instead of smiling and posing for the pictures of the many parents and friends, I'll be my sister's personal paparazzi, capturing an unforgettable night.

This year instead of strutting my way down grand march, I'll be in the stands anxiously awaiting my sister's name over the intercom so I can click picture after picture of her own strut down the grand march runway.

This year instead of recapping my fabulous night, I'll be listening to my sister recap hers.

This year instead of attending prom once again, my sister will be. And that's OK. Because this time, this is all for her. And I'm willing to be her personal assistant, paparazzi, cheerleader and biggest fan. My time has come and gone and my sister has taught me that moving on is OK. It's time for another class to create the same great memories my class created. And maybe just maybe, once my time has come and gone in college, I'll show my sister the ropes and be by her side once again, to help her create more good memories.