An Open Letter To Professors Who Take Forever To Post Grades
College

An Open Letter To The Professors Who Take ForEVER to Post Grades

I have deadlines. Why shouldn't you?

1700

This is not just a local phenomenon. Students from universities across the globe can relate to this issue. It is an issue that needs to be addressed for the sake of students much like myself.

Sure, this may sound like we're just being impatient and dramatic, and yes, in some instances, we are. However, there is practically no excuse for only having two grades up more than three months into the semester.

When you don't post our grades, we have no way of knowing if we are succeeding in the class or not. Students are clueless about their grades when the ever-so-important class drop date rolls around. How are we supposed to know if we need to drop a course when the only grade in the system is a 10 point participation grade for the boring first day of school introduction activities?

Many students, including myself, rely on feedback to better our performance in class. In reading and writing-based classes with frequent reading responses, getting feedback on assignments is crucial for students. Every teacher we have grades us differently, and we need to know whether or not we've figured out how you would like us to write.

It is our responsibility to complete assignments by assigned due date. We are told that of course, we have enough time to do it, we just have to manage our time better. Where is this mentality when it comes to feedback on those assignments. When I take too long to finish an assignment, I get points off. I'm not saying late feedback should result in points added to my grade, but I'm pretty sure late feedback should result in points added to my grade.

We don't complain because we feel entitled or we take your job for granted. We appreciate the work you do in educating us and helping us prosper in our careers. Your feedback is important in making sure your strides in our education do not go to waste.