4 Things Professors Should Know About Mental Health
Education

4 Things Professors Don't Understand About Having Mental Illnesses

We're not lazy, we're just struggling.

114
http://www.110atkw.ang.af.mil/News/Article/868008/college-classes-wrap-up-at-the-battle-creek-air-national-guard-base/

I've had quite the fight with my own mental demons throughout college, and I'm also very aware that many other people struggle as well. While some schools do their best to be understanding, there are just some things they can't understand unless they've been through it themselves. Some professors will go the extra mile while other professors couldn't care less. There are a few things professors should realize about students that struggle.

1. We don't skip class because we're lazy.

Photo by Asdrubal luna on Unsplash

There's some days where it's physically painful to leave bed. It's draining to even move. Yes, we fully understand that we will probably miss something important. It isn't an easy decision to make. We beat ourselves up and end up feeling worse.

2. Our grades may be suffering, but that doesn't mean that we aren't trying.

c1.staticflickr.com

Whether it's from missing days or being so mentally distressed that we just literally cannot focus, our grades may take a hit. I've seen people have a bad day and then go into overdrive the next day to make up for it just to still see bad grades.

3. Walking out in the middle of class isn't because you've bored us.

upload.wikimedia.org

We walk out because something is not right mentally or emotionally. Maybe we can feel a panic attack or a breakdown or we just have intense anxiety and need to leave to take care of ourselves. It's not something you've done and being snarky by saying "Oh, I'm sorry, am I boring you?" makes it 100x worse.

4. If we come to you and open up about what's going on, please do your best to listen.

upload.wikimedia.org

If I come to you and explain what's going on and how that's affecting my ability to learn in your class, I'm simply asking you to listen. I'm not asking for a free A or an easy ride, I'm simply asking you to meet me halfway and be understanding. I want to make it known to you that I appreciate you as a professor and that I want nothing more than to do well but there are issues preventing me from doing my absolute best. That's all.