Procrastination Is Not Laziness, It's An Asset

Procrastination is both a skill and talent.

3141
Unsplash

I am the queen of procrastination.

For anyone who knows me, this is a well-known fact. I often don't start projects until the night before they are due, and I sometimes stay up late at night working on them.

While some may say my procrastination is related to laziness or a poor work ethic, I would argue that my tendencies spark a special kind of creativity and motivation in me.

I have conjured up some of my greatest ideas and performed my best work just hours before a deadline. The adrenaline rush of working hard to accomplish something both efficiently and concisely is what pushes me to finish assignments under tight deadlines.

Don't get me wrong, I can see how some people's procrastination can be a major pitfall in their academic and career endeavors. So, you should definitely not attempt this in important situations if you aren't considered an expert at it.

While this concept may come across as humorous, I see procrastination as both a skill and a talent. It's something that you can use to your advantage. (Is this something I can put on my resume?)

I've written a countless amount of essays in less than a day, even though they were assigned to me more than weeks in advance. More often than not, I have scored high on those assignments as well!

Honestly, procrastination is just what I'm good at it — I thrive at it. I truly cannot start something until at least the night before, or else my work will be mediocre at best. And I will never settle for mediocrity.

While this may seem like backwards thinking, it's just how my brain works, and I've come to appreciate it throughout my academic career.

Procrastination allows me to be as creative as possible, and helps me brainstorm innovative and original ideas — procrastination is not laziness, it's a lifestyle. It's a talent. And I see it as one of my greatest assets.