I Procrastinate Everything I Do

I Procrastinate Everything I Do, And I Really Wish I Knew Why

I could know about something for literally a year and then, act surprised when it is the day before without anything done.

96
Kayla Lindberg

I pretend I am on top of everything. I have a planner, a large desk calendar, and a lot of sticky notes. I write everything down weeks in advance, but I wait until the day before to start absolutely anything.

If you are like me, then you understand. I am a procrastinator at it's finest. I literally will know about something for weeks — months even — but I will not even look at it until the night before it needs to be done.

Websters Dictionary defines procrastination as "to put off intentionally the doing of something that needs to be done." Boy, do I intentionally put things off . . .

At the beginning of each semester, I take my syllabus for my class and write down every single due date. Then, I close my planner and don't look at it again until my professor says something. I will know in August that something is due on October 13th, but you better believe at 10 P.M. on October 12th, I just started working on it.

I am ridiculous, but it's just the way I live my life. I try so hard to change it. That's why I have a planner and a huge calendar and I write everything on sticky notes and stick them to my laptop. I read articles on how to stop procrastinating. I watch YouTube videos on people who have their lives together. But, nothing really clicks for me.

I feel like I don't want to stop procrastinating.

I know I am talking about procrastinating like it is this awful thing but, to be honest, I work pretty well under pressure, which is the excuse I give myself when I procrastinate something. I have started saying it so much that people around me always say: "Well, you do work better under pressure."

I'll be honest and admit that some of my best work has come on the night before it is due. Don't get me wrong, but I cry the whole time I do it. I contemplate dropping out and scream to my roommate how school is so unfair and gives us way too much to do.

But, in reality, I did this to myself.

I know that so many other students — college, high school, or anyone in general — can relate to me on this. It is REALLY hard to be on top of your shit. It is really hard to have everything planned out and just do it right then and there without waiting until the last minute.

To the people who actually have their lives together and get things done way ahead of time: I can guarantee this makes no sense to you. Honestly, it makes no sense to me either.

For example, not in a school setting, the people who have their lives together get an invitation to a party and immediately buy the gift. But, people like me in the procrastination nation, we wait until it is 10 minutes before the party to go to the store down the street from where it is happening. We quickly find a card, grab a cute little balloon, and be on our way.

I swear, it is just how we are wired.

Let me be real with you, the entirety of this article was written while I was procrastinating doing homework. Typical.